1808 - 1879
||Christopher Myers [1, 2] |
||6 Mar 1808
||Prussia [1, 3]
- His surname has been spelled "Meyers"; his given name "Christofer."
||Iowa [1, 3]
||Burlington Township, Des Moines County, Iowa 
- (Christopher Myer was listed with wife Mary, and children: John, Sarah, Louisa, Margaret, Mary, ahd Elizabeth Myer, and with 73-year-old, Sophia Myer, probably Sophia Dena? or Amant, his mother-in-law:) Line #20; Dwelling #1201, Family #1261: Christopher Myer, age 42, male, white, occupation farmer, value of real estate 8000, born in Germany
|Iowa State Census
||Des Moines County, Iowa 
- (Cristopher Myers was married to Mary, lived with her and daughters: Loesa, Margaret, and Mary Myers:) Cristopher Myers, age 49, male, married, 12 years in Iowa, born in Germany, occupation farmer
||Burlington Township, Des Moines County, Iowa 
- (Christopher Meyers was listed with Mary and Sophia Meyers:) Line number: 28, Dwelling number: 226, Family number: 240: Christopher Meyers, age 63, male, white, occupation farmer, born in Germany, father of foreign birth, mother of foreign birth, adult who could not read (English), adult who could not write (English), male citizen over 21 years of age
||5 Jan 1879
||Burlington Township, Des Moines County, Iowa [2, 3]
|A Portrait and Biographical Album of Des Moines County, Iowa |
- Christopher Myers, deceased, a pioneer of Des Moines County, Iowa, was born in Prussia, March 6, 1808, where he was reared upon a farm. He was married in 1832 in Germany, and in 1833 the young couple emigrated to America, locating first in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, where they remained about a year and then became residents of Westmoreland County, making that their home until 1844, when they emigrated to Iowa, locating in Benton Township, Des Moines County. Mr. Myers purchased forty acres of land on section 22, and resided upon that farm for the succeeding two years. Selling out he moved to another farm in Franklin Township, and for the next five years rented in various parts of the county. In 1851 he purchased six acres of land in Burlington Township, and continued its cultivation until 1867, at which time he became the owner of eighty acres of land on section 26, Benton Township, and made that his home until his death, which occurred on the 5th of January, 1879. Two years later, on the 26th of March, 1881, his wife was called to her final rest. Five children were born to this worthy couple: John F., a farmer of Benton Township; Sarah wedded Louis Flint of Burlington, Iowa; Louisa became the wife of Charles Ort, a resident farmer of Burlington Township; Margaret, widow of Christopher Wiley, now resides in Burlington Township; and Mary, the youngest child, is now the wife of Joseph Schuler, who is engaged in farming in Benton Township.
Mr. and Mrs. Myers were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and earnest workers in their Master's vineyard. Mr. Myers was a conservative man, an able thinker, and in politics was a Democrat. Being one of the honored and respected pioneers of Des Moines County, his death was sincerely mourned by a large circle of friends.
||The Biography of Christopher Myers (1808-1879)
Portrait and Biographical Album of Des Moines County, Iowa; Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County, Together with Biographies of all the Governors of the State, and of the Presidents of the United States (Acme Publishing, Chicago; 1888), pages 422-423.
||Meyers Family Plot, Tama Township, Des Moines County, Iowa 
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Mary Elizabeth Amant, b. 12 Feb 1810, Germany , d. 26 Mar 1881 |
||Bucks County, Pennsylvania 
|>||1. John Frederick Meyers, Sr., b. 24 Jun 1834, Bucks County, Pennsylvania , d. 7 Oct 1907|
|>||2. Sarah Meyers, b. Between 1837 and 1838, Pennsylvania , d. Yes, date unknown|
|>||3. Loesa Terasa "Louisa" Meyers, b. Oct 1842, Pennsylvania , d. 1919|
| ||4. Margaret Meyers, b. Abt 1846, Iowa Territory , d. Yes, date unknown|
|>||5. Mary Elizabeth Meyers, b. 29 Jan 1850, Burlington Township, Des Moines County, Iowa , d. 22 Aug 1930, Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S424] 1856 Iowa State Census (Reliability: 3).
Burlington Township, Des Moines County, Iowa
- [S403] Des Moines County, Iowa - (1905) Biographical Review of Des Moines County, Iowa, (Hobart Publishing Company, Chicago, 1905), pages 654-655 (Reliability: 4).
- [S35] Des Moines County, Iowa - (1888) Portrait and Biographical Album of Des Moines County, Iowa, (Acme Publishing, Chicago; 1888), pages 422-423 (Reliability: 3).
- [S366] 1850 US Census (Reliability: 4).
1850 US Census; Burlington Township Des Moines County Iowa; Enumerated October 28, 1850; Page #915, Sheet #457
- [S267] 1870 US Census (Reliability: 3).
1870 US Census, Page #: 32, Sheet #: 397, Burlington, 5th Ward, Des Moines County, Iowa, enumerated on: August 12, 1870, Post Office: Burlington
- [S507] Des Moines County, Iowa - Cemetery Records (GenWeb) (Reliability: 3).