1827 - 1906
||Henry M. Meyerholz [1, 2, 3, 4] |
||Between 1825 and 1826
||Germany [3, 5]
||19 Jun 1827
||Oldenburg, , Niedersachsen, Germany [2, 4, 6]
||Oldenburg, , Niedersachsen, Germany
||Jefferson Township, Louisa County, Iowa 
- (Henry "Mezerholz" was living with his children: Mary, William, Lizzie, Franklin, Frederick, Minnie, and Charlie "Mezerholz":) Henry Mezerholz (sic), head of household, widower, male, white, age 54, born in Germany, occupation farmer, father's birthplace Germany, mother's birthplace Germany
||24 Jul 1906 [2, 3]
||26 Jul 1906
||Mallory Cemetery, Jefferson Township, Louisa County, Iowa [2, 7]
||27 Jul 1906
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa [3, 7]
|The Wapello Tribune |
- Mr. Henry Meyerholz, one of the leading farmers of Jefferson township, passed away last Tuesday evening at the advanced age of 79 years, 1 month and 5 days. He suffered a paralytic stroke about four years ago, and has been in poor health ever since.
Deceased was born in Oldenburg, Germany, in 1829. He remained upon his father's farm until fifteen years of age, when he embarked on a German vessel as a cabin boy. He sailed to Greenland and other northern lands, and for the succeeding four years he followed the sea, sailing between Germany, England, Russia, France and the United States. His last voyage was to America by way of the island of Cuba in 1849. Landing at New Orleans he boarded a steamer and went to Cincinnati, Ohio, whence he proceeded to Madison, Indiana, where he engaged as an apprentice to the carriage and wagon making trade. After a year and a half spent in Madison, the works were removed to Burlington, Iowa, and he went with them, and continuing in that employ two years. At the expiration of that time he went to Nebraska territory, returning to Wapello, where he was employed at his trade a year and a half and then went to Madison, engaging as a mechanic in the car shops.
While in the latter city Mr. Meyerholz was united in marriage with Elizabeth Burchold, a native of Germany, their union being celebrated on September 23, 1855. Shortly after the young couple became residents of Louisa county, engaging in farming in Jefferson township. To this union eight children were born: William, a farmer living near the old homestead; Emma, wife of Joseph Lindly, of Letts; Mary, Lizzie and Fred at home; Frank, a farmer residing south of Wapello; Minnie, wife of Charles Shipman, of Chicago; and Charles, who is attending college at Leipsig, Germany. The wife and mother died twenty-eight years ago.
Financially, Mr. Meyerholz was a self-made man. Starting life as a cabin boy on an ocean steamer, he gained a comfortable competency, and was one of the well to do farmers of the county. He was one of the organizers of the Wapello State Savings bank and for a number of years was one of its directors. He reared a family of intelligent children who are a credit to his name.
The funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the home of the deceased, conducted by Reverend J. P. Hehner, pastor of the German M. E. church, of Wapello, and were largely attended by the friends of the family. Interment occurred in the Mallory cemetery.
||Louisa County, Iowa, Cemetery Records  |
- Name: Henry M. Meyerholz; Sex: M; Born: 1827; Died or Buried: 1906; Age: 79; Buried: Mallory (township = Jefferson); County/State: Louisa, Iowa; Military Service: none; Book: LCC ©1990 - page J-10; Notes: born 19 June 1827; died 24 July 1906
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Elizabeth Burchold, b. 5 May 1835, Hannover , d. 13 Feb 1878 |
||23 Sep 1855
||Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin 
| ||1. William Meyerholz, b. 1 Aug 1855, Louisa County, Iowa , d. 22 May 1927|
| ||2. Emma Meyerholz, b. 24 Oct 1858, d. 17 Nov 1927|
| ||3. Mary Meyerholz, b. 1861, Iowa , d. 1944|
| ||4. Elizabeth "Lizzie" Meyerholz, b. 1863, Iowa , d. 2 Aug 1942|
|>||5. Franklin "Frank" Meyerholz, b. 27 Mar 1865, Jefferson Township, Louisa County, Iowa , d. 19 Dec 1943, Mercy Hospital, Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa |
| ||6. Frederick "Fred" Meyerholz, b. 11 Oct 1867, Louisa County, Iowa , d. 4 Nov 1953, Louisa County, Iowa |
| ||7. Minnie Meyerholz, b. 21 May 1871, Iowa , d. 8 Feb 1931, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois |
| ||8. Charles Henry "Charlie" Meyerholz, b. 26 Aug 1876, Iowa , d. 13 Sep 1936, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois |
||21 Jan 2014 |
||Henry M. Meyerholz|
Henry Meyerholz was a native of Oldenburg, Germany, born June 19, 1827. He immigrated into the U.S. from Germany, and in Madison, Wisconsin, on September 23, 1855, he married Elizabeth Burchold (1835-1878), a native of Hannover, Germany. They moved from Wisconsin to Louisa County, Iowa, had eight children, and both died and were buried in Iowa.
- [S259] Elmwood Connection, The - Bevans/Umphrey Families Info, Jerry L. Sanner (Reliability: 3).
- [S634] Louisa County, Iowa - Cemetery Records Through 1997 (Rootsweb) (Reliability: 4).
- [S30] Louisa County, Iowa - Louisa County History 1911, Arthur Springer, (The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911, Chicago, Illinois), pages 140-141 (Reliability: 3).
- [S30] Louisa County, Iowa - Louisa County History 1911, Arthur Springer, (The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911, Chicago, Illinois), pages 36-39 (Reliability: 3).
- [S628] 1880 US Census (Reliability: 3).
From LDS Familysearch.org, online. Census Place: Family History Library Film: Jefferson, Louisa, Iowa; NA Film Number: 1254350; Page Number: T9-0350 444A.
- [S77] 1930 US Census (Reliability: 4).
Louisa County, Iowa; Jefferson Township; Sutro Microfilm #2128, Roll 666; Enumeration Date: April 7, 1930; Supervisor's District Number: 15; Enumeration District Number: 58-13; Sheet Number: 3B; Page Number: 64 2751.
- [S1392] Meyerholz, Henry M. - Obituary, (originally published in The Wapello Tribune, Friday, July 27, 1906, Page 1; Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S634] Louisa County, Iowa - Cemetery Records Through 1997 (Rootsweb) (Reliability: 3).