1903 - 2002
||Twyla V. Shipman [1, 2, 3, 4] |
||3 Jun 1903 [4, 5]
- She had a first marriage to Harry Edwards (divorced), and a second marriage to William Gilkey (he died).
||Mount Vernon, Linn County, Iowa [2, 4]
|Cornell College |
||Mount Vernon, Linn County, Iowa
|Cornell College eReport, Fall 2002 |
[...] Twyla Shipman Isett [class of] '26, Inverness, Florida, January 9, 2002 [...]
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa [2, 4]
|Wapello High School |
||9 Jan 2002
||Mariner Nursing Home, Inverness, Citrus County, Florida [3, 4]
||14 Jan 2002
||Muscatine, Muscatine County, Iowa 
|The Muscatine Journal |
- Inverness (FL) -- Twyla V. Edwards Gilkey Isett died Wednesday, January 9, 2002, at Mariner Nursing Home in Inverness.
Mrs. Isett was born on June 3, 1903, to Leonard and Saidee Shipman.
She attended high school in Wapello. She graduated from Cornell College in Mount Vernon and taught art, music and other subjects in the Reinersville, McConnelsville/Malta and Centerville, Ohio, school systems for about 22 years.
In 1947, she and her first husband, Harry Edwards, bought a large home in Columbus Junction and converted it into a nursing home called Restopia. They divorced in 1951 and in 1955 she married William Gilkey. He preceded her in death in 1963, and she operated Restopia until 1969, when she retired. Around 1970, she married Ewing Isett of Wapello and they divided their time between Columbus Junction and Clearwater, Florida. He preceded her in death in 1990, and she resided in New Horizon ALF in Inverness near her son, Lynn, until the time of her death.
She was known for her artistic abilities and during her teaching years was very active in the drama departments where she taught. She was one of the founders of the Iowa Nursing Home Association and was the first vice president.
In her retirement years she wrote an autobiography and two novels, as well as doing numerous paintings.
Survivors include an adopted son, Lynn Gilkey; and three stepchildren, William Gilkey of Clearwater, Mrs. Roger Hill of Burlington and Myrna Martin of Clearwater; 12 grandchildren; and 18 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by a brother, Leonard James Shipman and a sister, Elzy Cooper.
||Find A Grave Memorials# 6926071 & 7149372  |
- There is a Find A Grave record for her burial both at the Columbus City Cemetery and at Wapello Cemetery (both in Louisa County, Iowa). Neither has a death date. The Wapello Cemetery record has a birth date of 1903. It isn't clear whether she is buried at either or neither location.
there was no mention of a burial location in her obituary of 2002.
||31 Mar 2015 |
||William Harvey Gilkey, b. 7 Oct 1899, rural Columbus Junction, Louisa County, Iowa , d. 2 Dec 1963, Mercy Hospital, Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa |
||14 Jan 1953 
||21 Jan 2014 |
||Ewing G. Isett, b. 3 Sep 1902, Iowa , d. 7 Dec 1990, Citrus Memorial Hospital, Inverness, Citrus County, Florida |
||21 Feb 1970
||Grace United Methodist Church, Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
||22 Feb 1970
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|The Hawk-Eye |
- Mrs. William H. Gilkey and Ewing G. Isett were united in marriage February 21 at 6:30 p.m. in Grace Methodist church. Reverend Henry Hackman officiated.
Attending the couple were Mrs. Elzy Cooper of Elkhorn, Wisconsin, sister of the bride, matron of honor, and Arthur Maddux of Wapello, best man.
Mrs. Arthur Maddux, Wapello, sister of the bridegroom, was bridesmaid, and James Shipman of Clinton, Wisconsin, was groomsman. Serving as ushers were Richard Isett of Mt. Vernon, Illinois, brother of the bridegroom and Roger Hill. Gene Ewing Isett, grandson of the bridegroom, was ringbearer.
The bride wore a simple pale beige and gold shift of silk brocade with matching coat and carried a bouquet of deep gold and yellow mums and carnations.
The reception was held at Holiday Inn, with Lynn Gilkey and Mrs. Roger Hill serving as host and hostess. Mr. and Mrs. Isett will travel by car to New Orleans and Florida.
The bride, a graduate of Wapello high school and Cornell college, has taught music and art in Ohio. She was owner and administrator of Restopia Convalescent home from 1947 to 1966.
The bridegroom, a graduate of Wapello high school, attended Washington University at St. Louis, Missouri. He has been an electrical engineer with Illinois Power and Light for 40 years.
||22 Feb 1971
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S540] Dotson, Timothy Ray - Web Site, Timothy Ray Dotson (Reliability: 3).
- [S1354] Isett, Ewing G. and Twila V. (Shipman) Gilkey - Marriage Announcement, (originally published in The Hawk-Eye, page 18, February 22, 1970; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S534] Online Record (Reliability: 3).
Cornell College eReport, Fall 2002: Weddings, births, deaths, faculty/staff news; see URL: http://www.cornellcollege.edu/cornell_report/issues/fall2002/anews2.shtml (8/2012)
- [S9235] Isett, Twyla V. (Shipman/Edwards/Gilkey) - Obituary, (originally published in the online edition of The Muscatine Journal, January 14, 2002; Muscatine, Muscatine County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S426] Find A Grave (web site) (Reliability: 3).
- [S6320] Gilkey, William Harvey - Obituary, (originally published in The Muscatine Journal, page 10, December 3, 1963; Muscatine, Muscatine County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S1353] Isett, Ewing G. - Obituary, (originally published in the Muscatine Journal, December 1990; Muscatine, Muscatine County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).