1923 - 1985
||Mary Katherine Hatt [1, 2, 3] |
||29 Jan 1923
||Iowa [3, 4]
- Her middle name may have been spelled "Katherine" or "Catherine."
|Iowa State Census
||Marion, Linn County, Iowa 
- Mary K. Hatt, daughter, female, white, age 2, single, number of years in the U.S.: 2, number of years in Iowa: 2, could not read, could not write, place of birth: Iowa, name of father: A. H. Hatt, father's birthplace: Ontario, father's age at last birthday: 52, name of mother: Elizabeth Tice, mother's birthplace: Iowa, mother's age at last birthday: 35, place of marriage of parents: Iowa, church affiliation: Methodist
||Marion, Linn County, Iowa 
- Mary C. Hatt, daughter, female, white, age 7, single, attended school since September 1929, born in Iowa, father's birthplace Canada (English), mother's birthplace Iowa, state code: 65, country code: 43, nativity: 1, occupation none
||Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio 
|Social Security Administration Information
- Mary Cira; born: 29 January 1923; died: October 1985; last residence: 32701 (Altamonte Springs, Seminole, Florida); state where issued: Iowa
|Florida Death Records
- Name: Mary Katherine Cira; Death Date: 2 October 1985; County of Death: Orange; State of Death: Florida; Age at Death: 62; Race: White; Birth Date: 29 January 1923
||2 Oct 1985
||Orange County, Florida [1, 2, 4]
||Glen Haven Memorial Park and Mausoleum, Winter Park, Orange County, Florida 
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Alexander Howie "Alex" Hatt, b. 4 Oct 1872, Kitchener, Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada , d. 28 Mar 1937, Marion, Linn County, Iowa |
||Elizabeth Ellen "Lizzie" Tice, b. 9 Dec 1890, Kalona, Washington County, Iowa , d. 18 Apr 1968, Saint Luke's Hospital, Cedar Rapids, Linn County, Iowa |
||22 Dec 1910
||Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa [8, 9]
|Iowa Marriage Records
- Groom's Name: Alex H. Hatt; Groom's Birthplace: Canada; Bride's Name: Lizzie E. Tice; Bride's Birthplace: Kalona; Marriage Date: 22 December 1910; Marriage Place: Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa; Groom's Father's Name: Henry Hatt; Groom's Mother's Name: Caroline Hearth; Bride's Father's Name: Soloman Tice; Bride's Mother's Name: Kate Hochstetler; Groom's Race: White; Groom's Marital Status: Unknown; Bride's Race: White; Bride's Marital Status: Single; Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M02542-4; System Origin: Iowa-EASy; Source Film Number: 986014; Reference Number: cn 6837
||Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa 
|W. H. Hoffman's City Directory of Iowa City, Iowa |
- Alex H. Hatt (Lizzie), insurance agent, 905 East Burlington Street.
(Also living at this address was Reginald Lynn Hatt, a student, or possibly Alex Hatt's brother?)
||8 Jun 1967
||Marion, Linn County, Iowa 
|The Marion Sentinel |
- Hatts Earn Title 'All-American' Family
The Hatt families have, through their work and active participation in serving their country earned die title of "The All-American Families."
Mr. and Mrs. Hatt and her family moved to Marion 47 years ago, July 1. Mr. Hatt passed away 32 years ago and Mrs. Hatt raised the family alone. She now lives at 2222 8th avenue.
Mrs. Hatt, at the Memorial Day services May 30; held by the Marion Post No. 298, American Legion, gave the invocation and benediction. She has been the chaplain for 13 years of the American Legion Auxiliary and has contributed 500 hours at the Veterans hospital in Iowa City, where she was awarded her pin. She served as chairman of the Gold Star Mothers and is a member of the Veterans of World War 1, Barracks #695.
Mrs. Hatt also takes part in the WSCS activities of the Methodist church and is a member of the Ruth Circle.
Mrs. Hatt's ten children have continued on in the same spirit of service as their mother.
Her son R. L. (Reginald) Hatt of Ontario, California, served in the first World War second World War and the Korean war, as a member of the intelligence department and is now retired as a colonel.
Her daughter, Helen is married to Roy Cooper, and they reside in Burlington. During the War, Helen worked at the Ordinance (sic) plant in Burlington. Her husband was in the fire department.
Another daughter, Betty and her husband, Sam. Walker, live in Cedar Rapids. Sam worked in the ordinance plant during the war. Their son, Jerry, who is Dr. J. D. Walker lives in St. Louis and was a captain in the army in Germany.
Richard and Grace Hatt live in Jackson, Michigan, where he is in his 12th year as an executive secretary of the YMCA.
Another son, Harry and his wife, Dorothy were also active war workers. Harry served at Okinawa. He was wounded and received the Purple Heart. For 17 years, Harry, has served as park commissioner at Burlington. Their son was recently made a second Lieutenant and will serve in Panama. Their daughter, Judy, is a nurse and is married to Richard Gall and he is now working at the ordinance plant in Burlington.
Vincent Hatt and wife, Grace, live in Marion. His son, Vincent J. was recently ordained a priest in the Roman Catholic church. Mr. Hatt has an insurance agency in Marion.
Mrs. Hatt's son, Thomas is married and lives in Brooklyn, New York. He also served in the navy. He is now employed in the loan department of Chemical Corn National Bank in Brooklyn. His son, Ronnie, recently joined the air force.
Jack Hatt and his wife Doris live in Cedar Rapids. He served in the army and is now owner of Jack Hatt Service, Incorporated of Cedar Rapids.
Mrs. Hatt's daughter, Mary is married to James Cira and lives in Cleveland Ohio.
Another daughter, Jeanne is married to J. L. McArthur and lives in San Bernardino, California. Jeanne served as a teletype operator in Guam for a number of years. Her husband is a retired M/Sgt. in the air force.
The Hatt family's first reunion in 30 years was held last June 5, 1966, when the entire family of ten children and Mrs. Hatt celebrated together at a buffet dinner held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jack Hatt in Cedar Rapids.
Mrs. Hatt is mighty proud of her patriotic family and dearly loves her 30 grandchildren and six great grandchildren.
||Hatts Earn Title 'All-American' Family
The story of the children and stepchildren of Elizabeth Ellen (Tice) Hatt, who, with her husband Alexander Howie Hatt, ran a laundry in Marion, Iowa, for a number of years. Alexander died in 1937 and Elizabeth raised her eight children as a single mother thereafter.
||James William Cira, b. 23 Dec 1918, Ohio , d. 11 Mar 2008 |
||29 May 1943
||Saint Rose Catholic Church, Lima, Allen County, Ohio 
- There were (at least) five children from this marriage.
||30 May 1943
||Lima, Allen County, Ohio 
|The Lima News |
- Attractive Wedding Solemnized Saturday Morning
Miss Mary C. Hatt and James Cira in St. Rose Church
Nuptial Mass Is Celebrated By Rt. Reverend Msgr. James S. Elder; Breakfast Follows At The Hotel Barr; Couple Will Reside in Erie, Pennsylvania
Miss Mary Catherine Hatt, Marion-av, became the bride of James Cira, of Erie, Pennsylvania, formerly of Lima, in a ceremony solemnized Saturday morning at 9 o'clock in St. Rose Catholic church. The nuptial high mass was celebrated by Rt. Reverend Msgr. James S. Elder. The bride is the daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth Hatt, of Marion, Iowa, and Mr. Cira is the son of Mr. and Mrs. August Cira, Marion-av.
The mass was sung by the girls choir with Miss Marjorie Quinn as organist. During the communion her selection was "O Lord, I Am Not Worthy," and at the end of the mass she played "On This Day, O Beautiful Mother."
The bride entered the church escorted by her brother, Petty Officer Thomas Hatt, USNR, Chicago, Illinois, who gave her in marriage. Her gown of white satin was made with sweetheart neckline, fitted basque sleeves. A long tulle veil edged with lace reached to the end of her train and she carried an arm bouquet of red roses.
The matron of honor, Mrs. Vincent Hatt, of Marion, Iowa, sister-in-law of the bride, wore a frock of aqua net over taffeta, made with full sleeves and sweetheart neckline. Her matching toque was of net and she carried Talisman roses.
Miss Josephine Cira, sister of the bridegroom, was maid of honor. She wore a dress of pink net over taffeta made similar in style to that of the matron of honor; and her flowers were roses and gardenias.
Frank Cira, Chicago, Illinois, was best man for his brother.
Following the mass a breakfast for the bridal party and immediate families was served in the Barr hotel after which the couple left for a short trip. They will make their home in Erie, Pennsylvania, where the bridegroom is test engineer for the General Electric company.
The bride was graduated from Marion high school and Mr. Cira is a graduate of St. Rose high school and Ohio State university.
||Attractive Wedding Solemnized Saturday Morning
The marriage announcement of Mary Catherine Hatt and James William Cira. They were married May 29, 1943, in Lima, Ohio.
||Kenmore, Erie County, New York 
||27 May 1954
||Cedar Rapids, Linn County, Iowa 
|The Cedar Rapids Gazette |
From New York -- Mr. and Mrs J. W. Cira of Kenmore, New York, and their children, Karen, Jimmie, Mary Ellen, Rickey and Stevie, are guests of her mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Hatt, and her sisters, Mrs. Sam Walker and Mrs. Lloyd McArthur. They are here to attend the graduation of their nephew, Jerry Walker. Mrs. Cira, the former Mary Hatt, also will attend the alumni banquet. Mrs. Le Roy Cooper of Burlington, the former Helen Hatt, also is in Marion to attend the alumni banquet and graduation.
||Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio 
||The Graduation Announcement of Jerry Dean Walker|
A notice of relatives in Marion, Iowa, to attend the graduation of Jerry Walker from high school. (At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.)
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S8106] Walker, Elizabeth Etta "Betty" (Hatt) - Obituary, (originally published in the Marion Times, page 5, May 15, 1997; Marion, Linn County, Iowa).
- [S8359] Florida Death Index, 1877-1998 (ancestry.com/Family Search) (Reliability: 3).
- [S77] 1930 US Census (Reliability: 3).
Marion city, Ward 4, Marion Township, Linn County, Iowa; enumeration district: 57-26, supervisor's district: 10; sheet number: 4A, page number: 135; enumeration date: April 17 and 18, 1930
- [S776] Social Security Death Index (Reliability: 3).
- [S38] 1925 Iowa State Census (Reliability: 3).
Marion, Linn County Iowa; Roll: IA1925_1815
- [S8107] Hatt, Elizabeth Ellen "Lizzie" (Tice) - Obituary (Hawk-Eye), (originally published in The Burlington Hawk-Eye, page 3, April 21, 1968; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S426] Find A Grave (web site) (Reliability: 3).
- [S94] LDS Online Record.
- [S13] Iowa Marriage Collection, 1809 -1992 (Family Search) (Reliability: 3).
- [S300] Iowa City, Iowa - City Directory 1914, (1914. Home Office, Quincy, Illinois), page 164 (Reliability: 4).
- [S200] Hatt, Elizabeth Ellen (Tice) and Family - All American Family, (originally published in The Marion Sentinel, page 6, June 8, 1967; Marion, Linn County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S1266] Hatt, Mary Catherine and James William Cira - Marriage Announcement, (originally published in The Lima News, May 30, 1943; Lima, Allen County, Ohio) (Reliability: 3).
- [S1262] Walker, Jerry Dean - High School Graduation, (originally published in The Cedar Rapids Gazette, page 30, May 27, 1954; Cedar Rapids, Linn County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).