1916 - 1976
||Ellis Brown Long [1, 2] |
||7 Feb 1916
||Sublette, Haskell County, Kansas [1, 3, 4, 5, 6]
||Haskell Township, Haskell County, Kansas 
- Ellis Long, son, male, white, age 4 8/12, single, born in Kansas, father's birthplace Indiana, mother's birthplace Iowa, occupation none
||Harper, Harper County, Kansas 
- (Living with his mother at the home of his grandmother, Mary A. Brown:) Ellis B. Long, grandson, male, white, age 14, single, attended school since September 1929, could read and write, born in Kansas, father's birthplace Kentucky, mother's birthplace Iowa, state code: 70, could speak English, occupation news boy, nature of industry publishing company, occupation code 8890, wage earner, actively employed at time of census
||Harper, Harper County, Kansas 
- (Living with his grandmother, Mary A. Brown, and siblings Harlan and La Vera Long:) Ellis Long, grandson (code 4), male, white, age 24, single, did not attend school since March 1, 1940, highest grade of high school: 12 (4) (code 30), born in Kansas (code 70), lived in the same house in 1935, was working in private industry (code 1), hours worked in private sector March 24-30: 42, occupation truck driver, industry highway construction, wage/salary worker in private work (code 420) (code 119 1), 14 weeks worked in 1939, $325 earned in 1939, did not receive more than $50 from sources other than wages/salary
Supplemental Questions/All Ages: Line #68: Ellis Long, father's birthplace Kentucky, mother's birthplace Iowa, childhood language: English, was not a veteran, veteran's wife, or child of veteran
Supplemental Questions 14 and Older: had a Social Security number, Social Security deductions were not taken during 1939, deductions from what part of salary?: none usual occupation truck driver, usual industry highway construction, wage/salary worker in private work (code 420) (code v9 1)
||7 Feb 1976
||Harper, Harper County, Kansas [3, 4, 5, 6, 9]
|Cause: a heart attack |
||9 Feb 1976
||Hutchinson, Reno County, Kansas 
|The Hutchinson News |
- Argonia (KS) -- Ellis B. Long, 60, was found dead in front of his mother's home at Harper after a heart attack.
Born February 7, 1916, at Sublette, he married Stella M. Shirley May 22, 1964, at Newkirk, Oklahoma. He was a carpenter and lived in Argonia for 11 years.
He was a member of Argonia VFW post; Harper Methodist Church, and veteran of World War II. Survivors are widow; mother: Mrs. Emily Long, Harper; sons: Ellis Duane and Gerald W., both of Houston, Texas; stepson: Don Shirley, Wichita; stepdaughter: Mrs. La Von Loudermilk, Bartlesville, Oklahoma; brother: Harlin, Long Beach, California; sister: Mrs. La Vera Berthalf, Attica; five grandchildren.
Funeral will be 2 p.m. Tuesday (February 10, 1976) at Argonia Friends Church, Reverend Clarence Lanier. Burial will be in Harper Cemetery. Friends may call noon to 9 p.m. Monday at Argonia Mortuary.
|Social Security Administration Information
- Name: Ellis Long; SSN: 512-10-7438; Born: 7 February 1916; Died: February 1976; State (Year) SSN issued: Kansas (Before 1951)
||Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File  |
- Name: Ellis Long; Birth Date: 7 February 1916; Death Date: 7 February 1976; SSN: 512107438; Branch 1: ARMY; Enlistment Date 1: 22 April 1944; Release Date 1: 31 January 1946
||Find A Grave Memorial# 14266287 and U.S. Veterans Gravesites  |
- His grave is at the Harper Cemetery, Harper, Harper County, Kansas; memorial provided courtesy of Marlee (inactive). The epitaph on the stone is: "Ellis B. Long. Tec 5 US Army, World War II. February 7, 1916 - February 7, 1976"
A headstone photograph was available online at the Find A Grave web site as of July 2012
(U.S. Veterans Gravesites:) Name: Ellis B. Long; Service Info.: TEC 5 US ARMY WORLD WAR II; Birth Date: 7 February 1916; Death Date: 7 February 1976; Cemetery: Harper Cemetery; Cemetery Address: Harper, Kansas 67058
||10 Feb 1976
||Harper Cemetery, Harper, Harper County, Kansas [4, 5, 6]
||31 Mar 2015 |
||William Henry Long, b. 1868, Indiana , d. Bef 1976, Colorado |
||Emily Isabel Brown, b. 3 Mar 1886, Fonda, Pocahontas County, Iowa , d. 18 Oct 1978, Harper Hospital, Harper, Harper County, Kansas |
||Between 1910 and 1911 [1, 7]
||Between 1920 and 1930
- By the time of the 1925 Kansas state census, Emily was already separated or divorced from William. She and the children were living in Harper County, Kansas, when that census was taken.
- [S77] 1930 US Census (Reliability: 3).
Harper city, Ward 3, Banner Township, Harper County, Kansas; enumeration district: 39-14, supervisor's district: 8; sheet number: 13A, page number: 135; enumeration date: April 16, 1930
- [S12430] Ancestry Public Member: Long Family Tree (Reliability: 3).
- [S776] Social Security Death Index (Reliability: 3).
- [S426] Find A Grave (web site) (Reliability: 3).
- [S7513] Long, Ellis Brown - Obituary, (originally published in The Hutchinson News, page 3, February 9 , 1976; Hutchinson, Reno County, Kansas) (Reliability: 3).
- [S5113] U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006 (ancestry.com) (Reliability: 3).
- [S19] 1920 US Census (Reliability: 3).
Haskell Township, Haskell County, Kansas; enumeration district: 38; supervisor's district: 7, sheet number: 15B, page number: 1; enumeration date: January 3, 1920
- [S1377] 1940 US Census (Reliability: 3).
Harper city, Ward 3, Harper County, Kansas, supervisor's district: 11, enumeration district: 39-15, sheet number 11B, page number 113; enumeration date: April 12, 1940
- [S8003] U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 (Reliability: 3).