1868 - 1948
||William M. Westfall [1, 2] |
||Between 1866 and 1867 
||18 Oct 1867
||Louisa County, Iowa 
||18 Oct 1868
||Columbus Junction, Louisa County, Iowa 
|History of Louisa County, Iowa, From Its Earliest Settlement to 1911 |
- William Westfall, who is engaged in farming in Elliott (sic: Eliot) township, is a native of Louisa county, his birth having here occurred October 18, 1867. He is a son of Reuben and Jane (Racer) Westfall, the mother a native of Virginia. The father passed away in 1870 but the mother still survives and makes her home in Oakville. Of the five children born unto Mr. and Mrs. Westfall two are deceased: Albert, who was the third in order of birth; and Thomas, who was the youngest member of the family. Those surviving are as follows: Jacob, the eldest, who is a resident of Louisa county; Lettie, the wife of John Haight, also of this county; and William, who is the fourth in order of birth.
Born and reared on a farm William Westfall has always lived in the country and obtained his education in the district schools. As is the case with the majority of farmer lads he was early assigned duties and responsibilities about the homestead which were increased as his strength developed. After laying aside his text-books he gave his entire attention to assisting his widowed mother in the operation of the farm until his marriage. Immediately thereafter he purchased twenty acres of land south of Oakville upon which he located, continuing its cultivation for five years thereafter. At the expiration of that period he disposed of that place and bought forty acres in Elliott township, whereon he resided for eighteen months. He then sold it and bought his present farm which contains ninety-five and a half acres. During the period of his occupancy he has wrought many improvements upon his place and now owns one of the valuable and attractive properties of the township. Although engaged in general farming Mr. Westfall makes a specialty of the raising and feeding of hogs, which venture has proven to be very profitable.
Mr. Westfall married Miss Bazzie Dotson, a daughter of David and Lydia (Bier) Dotson. Her father is deceased but the mother is surviving and makes her home in Newport, this county. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Westfall has been blessed with a son and daughter: Louva Oleda, now attending high school; and Virgil Eldon.
Mr. Westfall holds membership in the Odd Fellows lodge of Oakville, and both he and his wife are affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics he has ever remained true to the principles of democracy, the policy of which party he deems best adapted to subserve the interests of the majority. He has never been an office seeker, however, always having felt that his own best interests required his undivided attention in the direction and supervision of his business.
||The Biography of William M. Westfall (1868-1948)
Arthur Springer, History of Louisa County, Iowa, From Its Earliest Settlement to 1911, Volume II, Illustrated; With Biographical Sketches of Some Prominent Citizens of the County (The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911, Chicago, Illinois), pages 308-309.
||Oakville, Louisa County, Iowa 
||Eliot Township, Louisa County, Iowa 
- (Married to Basilla, living with her and son Virgil E. Westfall:) Line number 28: dwelling number: 84, family number: 84: William M. Westfall, head of household, owned home, lived on a farm, male, white, age 63, married, age at first marriage 27, did not attend school since September 1929, could read and write, born in Iowa, father's birthplace Iowa, mother's birthplace Indiana, state code: 65, could speak English, occupation farmer, nature of industry gen farming, occupation code VVVV, own account, actively employed at time of census, was not a veteran, number of farm in schedule: 69
||Louisa County, Iowa, Cemetery Records  |
- William Westfall; Sex: M; Born: 1868; Died or Buried: 1948; Age: 80; Buried: Wapello (township = Wapello); County/State: Louisa, Iowa; Military Service: none; Book: LCC ©1990 - page W-107; Notes: 1868-1948; husband of Bazzie
||17 Mar 1948
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa 
||Wapello Cemetery, Wapello Township, Louisa County, Iowa 
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Reuben D. Westfall, b. 12 Aug 1834, Indiana , d. 7 Nov 1872, Louisa County, Iowa |
||Jane Racer, b. 25 May 1846, Hartford, Ohio County, Indiana , d. 7 Nov 1914, Oakville, Louisa County, Iowa |
||Mar 1864 [1, 5, 8]
||Bazella "Bazzie" Dotson, b. 10 Mar 1875, Iowa , d. 22 Jul 1957, Iowa |
||22 Mar 1894
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa [1, 2, 9]
|Iowa Marriage Records
- Westfall, William M.; Spouse: Dotson, Bazzie; Marriage Date: 22 March 1894; County: Louisa; State: Iowa
||20 Sep 1937
||Muscatine, Muscatine County, Iowa 
|the Muscatine Journal and News-Tribune |
- Gail Chamberlin Heads Annual Beir Family Reunion
Gail Chamberlin of Muscatine was named president for the coming year at the Henry Bier family reunion held at Cartwright park in Mediapolis Sunday.
Others chosen were Mrs. N. M. Stark, vice president; and Mrs. Cora Spring, secretary and treasurer.
At the business meeting, which followed a basket dinner at noon, Will Bailey of Wapello presided and Miss Martha Peters of West Liberty served as secretary-treasurer.
Forty-one attended the event, which was the fourth annual reunion.
Those present were Mr. and Mrs. H. D. Webster, Mrs. N. M. Stark, H. H. Nichols, Mr. and Mrs. George Bahr, Freddie and Robert, Mr. and Mrs. Gail Chamberlin, Marjorie and Joan, Mrs. Lulu Webster, Mrs. Nellie W. Spring, and Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Spring, all of Muscatine; Miss Martha Peters of West Liberty; Mr. and Mrs. Will Bailey, Mr. and Mrs. T. A. Dotson, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Peters, Mr. and Mrs. Dale Callahan, Mr. and Mrs. George E. Mellinger of Wapello. Mr. and Mrs. Louis Kelley and Gene, Mediapolis; Mr. and Mrs. A. O. Helm and daughter, Jane, and Mr. and Mrs. Will Westphal of Oakville; Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Hobbs of Morning Sun; Mr. and Mrs. T. R. Dodson (sic) and Virginia, and Miss Beverly Broeker of New London.
||Gail Chamberlin Heads Annual Beir Family Reunion
An article about the fourth annual Beir family reunion held in Mediapolis, Iowa, September 20, 1937.
| ||1. Louva Oleta Westfall, b. 23 Jan 1897, Oakville, Louisa County, Iowa , d. 16 Dec 1979, Austin, Mower County, Minnesota |
|>||2. Virgil Eldon Westfall, b. 23 Jun 1904, Oakville, Louisa County, Iowa , d. 5 Oct 1967, Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa |
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S30] Louisa County, Iowa - Louisa County History 1911, Arthur Springer, (The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911, Chicago, Illinois), pages 308-309 (Reliability: 3).
- [S30] Louisa County, Iowa - Louisa County History 1911, Arthur Springer, (The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911, Chicago, Illinois), pages 28-32 (Reliability: 3).
- [S77] 1930 US Census (Reliability: 3).
Eliot Township, Louisa County, Iowa; enumeration district: 58-8, supervisor's district: 15; sheet number: 4A, page number: 40; enumeration date: April 25, 1930
- [S30] Louisa County, Iowa - Louisa County History 1911, Arthur Springer, (The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911, Chicago, Illinois).
- [S1153] McCannon, Jane (Racer/Westfall) - Obituary, (originally published in The Burlington Hawk-Eye, page 3, November 10, 1914; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S77] 1930 US Census (Reliability: 4).
Louisa County, Iowa; Eliot Township; Sutro Library Microfilm #: 2128, Roll 666; Enumeration Date: April 25, 1930; Supervisor's District Number: 15; Enumeration District Number: 58-8; Sheet Number: 4A; Page Number: 40.
- [S634] Louisa County, Iowa - Cemetery Records Through 1997 (Rootsweb) (Reliability: 3).
- [S283] World Connect - Westfall/Robertson/Sexton: :1760376, (last updated: Fri Feb 8 15:16:39 2002, contact: (not listed)) (Reliability: 3).
- [S540] Dotson, Timothy Ray - Web Site, Timothy Ray Dotson (Reliability: 3).
- [S26] Iowa Marriages, 1851-1900 (ancestry.com) (Reliability: 4).
- [S168] Dotson, Theodore Roosevelt "Ted," Zella "Myrtle (Walker), and Virginia Mae; and Beverly Jean Broeker - Beir Reunion, (originally published in the Muscatine Journal and News-Tribune, page 5, September 20, 1937; Muscatine, Muscatine County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).