1930 - 2003
||John Ellsworth DeVore [1, 2, 3] |
||18 Jan 1930
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa [1, 2, 4]
||Biloxi, Harrison County, Mississippi 
||Ocean Springs, Jackson County, Mississippi 
||17 Feb 2003
||Biloxi, Harrison County, Mississippi [2, 4]
||19 Feb 2003
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|The Hawk Eye |
- John E. DeVore, 73, of Biloxi, Mississippi, formerly of Columbus Junction, died due to complications from an extended illness Monday, February 17, 2003, at the Biloxi V. A. Medical Center.
Born January 18, 1930, in Wapello, he was the son of David Earl and Merle DeEtte Calahan DeVore. On August 1, 1952, he married Bernice Mildred Elliott.
Mr. DeVore was a Korean War Air Force veteran. He served in the Air Force from November 1948 to July 1964. He and his family moved and lived in the Biloxi area until June 1969. He then returned to Columbus Junction for several years before moving back to Biloxi in 1983.
Survivors include three sons, Richard DeVore, of Slocomb, Alabama, John DeVore Jr. of Fayetteville, North Carolina, and Earl DeVore of Moore, Oklahoma; six daughters, Donna DeVore Kidd and Debbra Simmons, both of San Antonio, Texas, Donna Buck of Ainsworth, Darla Morris of Rome (Iowa), Linda DeVore-Weeks of Muscatine, and Merle Bickett of Wapello; 16 grandchildren; on great grandchild, and four brothers: Jason DeVore and George DeVore, both of Wapello, adn Robert DeVore and Warren DeVore, both of Burlington.
Besides his wife, he was preceded in death by his parents, three sisters and one brother.
Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Sunday at Stacy-Lewis Funeral Home in Columbus Junction.
The graveside committal service for Mr. DeVore will be at 10 a.m. Saturday in Columbus City Cemetery.
A memorial has been established.
|Social Security Administration Information
- John E. Devore; born: 18 January 1930; died: 17 February 2003 (V); last residence: 39503 (Gulfport, Harrison, Mississippi); last benefit: (none specified); Social Security #: 484-32-0903; state where issued: Iowa
||22 Feb 2003
||Columbus City Cemetery, Columbus City, Louisa County, Iowa 
||31 Mar 2015 |
||David Earl "Earl" Devore, b. 13 Oct 1885, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania , d. 4 Dec 1962, Newport, Louisa County, Iowa |
||Merle DeEtta Callahan, b. 1 Apr 1894, Kirkwood, Warren County, Illinois , d. 25 Jul 1956, south of Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa |
||28 Jun 1916
||Louisa County, Iowa [1, 7]
|Iowa Marriage Records
- Name: David Earl Devore; Event: Marriage; Event Date: 28 June 1916; Event Place: Louisa, Iowa; Age: 30; Father: David Smith Devore; Mother: Laura Belle Barrick; Spouse: Merle De Etta Callahan; Spouse's Age: 23; Spouse's Father: Thomas James Callahan; Spouse's Mother: Jessie May Smith; Film Number: 1870162; Digital Folder Number: 004322391; Image Number: 00717
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa 
||Bernice Mildred Elliott, b. 23 Jun 1929, Gillette, Campbell County, Wyoming , d. 10 Feb 1983, Washington County Hospital, Washington, Washington County, Iowa |
||1 Aug 1952
||Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota [4, 9]
- There were nine children from this marriage.
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S77] 1930 US Census (Reliability: 3).
Wapello Township, Louisa County, Iowa; enumeration district: 58-21, supervisor's district: 15; sheet number: 2A, page number: 121; enumeration date: April 3 and 4, 1930
- [S776] Social Security Death Index (Reliability: 3).
- [S588] Veromi Report (Reliability: 3).
- [S6307] DeVore, John Ellsworth - Obituary, (originally published in The Hawk Eye, page 15, February 21, 2003; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S954] Devore, Merle DeEtta (Callahan) - Obituary, (originally published in the Burlington Hawk-Eye Gazette, page 12, July 26, 1956; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S4252] Fisher, Ina "Edrie" (Devore) - Obituary, (originally published in The Hawk Eye, page 9A, February 11, 1997; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S13] Iowa Marriage Collection, 1809 -1992 (Family Search) (Reliability: 3).
- [S953] Callahan, Frederick Martin "Fred" - Obituary, (originally published in the Morning Sun News-Herald, front page, July 7, 1955; Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S6308] DeVore, Bernice Mildred (Elliott) - Obituary, (originally published in an unknown southeast Iowa newspaper, February 1983; republished at Find A Grave) (Reliability: 3).