1796 - 1864
||James Foggy, Sr. [1, 2] |
||Edinburgh, , Midlothian, Scotland 
||Pleasant Ridge Township, Lee County, Iowa 
- (Living with sons Andrew and Adam, and Adam's wife, Elizabeth:) Line Number: 18, Dwelling Number: 98, Family Number: 93: James Foggy Senior, age 62, male, occupation farmer, value of real estate $7160, value of personal estate $1697, born in Scotland
||6 Apr 1864
||16 Apr 1864 
||27 Sep 1899
||Mount Pleasant, Henry County, Iowa 
|The Mt. Pleasant Weekly News |
- EARLY MEETINGS
The winter of 1843-44 myself [Frank Mathews] and brothers, Jesse and David, went to school in a little log cabin at what was then called Clark's Point [Lee County, Iowa], some three miles from our house. There I met the Foggy brothers, James, William, John, Andrew and Adam. Adam was a little boy just beginning to go to school and was very spry and active. There also attended the Boxes', Norrises', Kirkpatricks' Beerys', Hamiltons' Kennedays', Clarks' and some others I can't remember. Grimes Givin was the teacher, and a very good one for the time. [...]
- According to a Portrait and biographical album of Lee County, Iowa, page 642, Pleasant Ridge townships had first white settlers in Thomas Clark, Edward Enslow, John and David Burns and "Thomas" Foggy in 1835.
- According to Loretta (Market) Foggy's obituary in 2001, the James Foggy farm was settled in 1836, and was one of the oldest farms in the state of Iowa.
||New London, Henry County, Iowa 
|The History of New London, Iowa |
There were Foggys in New London vicinity as early as 1870, since the Atlas of that date showed land in Section 3 northwest of town owned by William and John Foggy.
Adam L. Foggy (1870-1964) was boon at Lomax, Illinois, the son of Adam and Elizabeth Lomax Foggy. The Lomax family gave the town [in Illinois] its name. Adam L. Foggy [Jr] married Addie Davis (1876-1972) of Wayland, and their children were Lomax, Robert, and Elizabeth Houghton. In 1922, [the] Adam Foggys moved to town, buying the home of Dr. Ritchey on South Pine Street, where they lived for nearly fifty years. Lomax Foggy married Miriam Rhineheimer, and they have lived on the Foggy farm northwest of New London since 1920. Their daughters were Virginia (Mrs. J. A.) Stockton, and Mary Lomax (Mrs. Elmer) Keuhnle. Robert Foggy married Birdie Nugen (1907-1959), and their children were Nancy (Mrs. John) Smith and Robert Adam III (1940-1952). John, another son of Adam and Elizabeth Lomax Foggy (sic: son of James and Margaret Afflect), married Elizabeth Kleinfelter, and lived northwest of New London. John and Elizabeth's daughter, Hattie (1872-1938), married Herbert Scott, and their children were Louise, Gertrude (Mrs. George) Elliott, Halvor and Herbert. Another of John and Elizabeth's daughters, Mary (1858-1929) married William Oberman and had a daughter Hattie (Mrs. Forest) Gabeline.
LeRoy Foggy (1887-1965) was born in New London, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ollie Foggy. He married Florence Collins, and their children were Jennie, Harold, Marie (Mrs. Joe) Cullen, Gertrude (Mrs. Kent) Mehaffey), Elizabeth (Mrs. Dan) Fetterman, Frances (Mrs. William) Watson, and Virginia.
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Margaret Afflect, b. 1790, Scotland , d. 4 Apr 1858 |
- According to an online source, there were at least seven children from this marriage.
|>||1. James Foggy, Jr., b. Abt 1826, Virginia , d. Yes, date unknown|
|>||2. William Foggy, b. 9 Mar 1827, Wheeler Run, Tyler County, (West) Virginia , d. 24 May 1908|
|>||3. John Foggy, b. 24 Apr 1830, Tyler County, (West) Virginia , d. 13 May 1897, New London Township, Henry County, Iowa |
|>||4. Andrew Foggy, b. 24 Apr 1830, Tyler County, (West) Virginia , d. 6 Aug 1917, Henry County, Iowa |
|>||5. Adam L. Foggy, Sr., b. 28 Aug 1833, Tyler County, (West) Virginia , d. 31 Aug 1910, Henry County, Iowa |
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S2066] World Connect - Penny Gaylord: :3160450, (last updated: 2005-11-12 21:47:49 UTC (Sat), contact: Penny Savage) (Reliability: 3).
- [S451] 1860 US Census (Reliability: 3).
Page Number: 14, Sheet Number: 248, Pleasant Ridge Township, Lee County, Iowa; Post Office: West Point; enumerated in June 1860
- [S776] Social Security Death Index (Reliability: 3).
- [S10394] Foggy Meeting, Frank Mathews, (originally published in the Mt. Pleasant Weekly News, Saturday, September 27, 1899; Mount Pleasant, Henry County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S7726] Foggy, Loretta (Market) - Obituary, (originally published in the online edition of The Hawk Eye, about March 11, 2001; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S266] New London, Iowa - New London Journal Centennial Edition Newspaper, M. Ruth (DeLong) Peterson, (published by The New London Journal on the occasion of the paper's centennial in 1975, Duane Griggs, editor; New London, Henry County, Iowa: composed and printed by The Hawk Eye; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa), page 181 (Reliability: 3).