1933 - 2011
||Jerry Lee Brunk [1, 2, 3] |
||28 Dec 1933
||Bloomfield, Davis County, Iowa [2, 4, 5, 6]
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|Burlington High School |
||6 Mar 1954
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|the Burlington Hawk-Eye Gazette |
- Pfc. Jerry L. Brunk, 20, son of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Brunk, 2501 Valley, is being treated in an army hospital in Japan after he was shot through both legs while on duty with the military police.
His mother, who talked with him by phone, said he has been hospitalized since December 19. She did not learn details of the accident. He is expected to be dismissed from the hospital soon.
His address is Pfc. Jerry L. Brunk, RA 17372966, MHD, 382nd General Hospital, APO 54, Care of Postmaster, San Francisco, California.
||Kahoka, Clark County, Missouri 
||Kahoka, Clark County, Missouri 
||Fort Madison, Lee County, Iowa 
|at the Wilson Funeral Home web site |
- Jerry Lee Brunk, age 77, of Kahoka, Missouri, died peacefully Tuesday, June 21, 2011, at the Clark Cunty Nursing Home in Kahoka surrounded by his family.
Jerry was born December 28, 1933, in Bloomfield, Iowa, a son of Clifford and Zella Modrell Brunk.
He graduated from Burlington High School and then worked various jobs in the area where he met his future wife who was employed by Sheaffer Pen in Fort Madison. They became engaged when he entered the Army.
On January 8, 1955, he was united in marriage to Irene E. Muhrer in the St. Paul United Church of Christ in Kahoka. They lived their lives devoted to each other, their family, church and community.
Survivors include his wife, Irene, of Kahoka; his children: Janis Wallingford and special friend, Charlie Bates of Keokuk, Gayla and Kent Nixon of Kahoka, Tamra Dochterman of Quincy and her special friend, Jim Waples of Kahoka, and Terry L. Brunk of Kahoka; eight grandchildren: Jason and Linda Wallingford of Maywood, Tisha and Troy Patterson of Monroe City, Kendra and Joseph Nichols of Burlington, Kale and Katrina Nixon of Kahoka, Ryan and Kim Dochterman of Canton, Erica and Shane Durnil of Columbia, Lane Dochterman of Harington, KS, and Shaina Dochterman of Kirksville; nine great-grandchildren: Jase and Jakeb Wallingford, Bo Patterson, Koy, Kayne, and Kennyck Nixon, Wesley Dochterman and McKenna and Landen Durnil; four siblings: Arnold Brunk of Kahoka, Larry and Sandy Brunk of Burlington, Rosemary and Jim Moore of Clinton, Missouri, and Steven and Beverly Brunk of Danville; sisters-in-law: Lucille Brunk and Rovene Meinhardt and her husband, Deane, all of Kahoka; as well as nieces, nephews, other relatives and many friends.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his in-laws, Orlanda and Edna Muhrer; a brother, Ronald Brunk and his wife, Donna; sister-in-law Jean Brunk; and, two nephews, Ronnie and Kerry Moore.
Jerry had always dreamed of becoming a farmer and following his marriage to Irene was able to join the family farming south of Kahoka and during that time held various jobs including serving as Clark County Assessor for two terms.
He was an active and faithful member of St. Paul United Church of Christ in Kahoka, always willing to offer a hand and he and Irene ministered by visiting those in the hospital and nursing home every Sunday when able. He was a charter member of the Kahoka Lions Club, receiving many honors within that organization. He enjoyed fishing, hunting, mushroom hunting, bowling, playing cards, growing a big garden and sharing its' abundance with others. He enjoyed a good game of golf with good friend, Melvin Hunziker, and collecting nuts with his brother, Arnold. He was an avid Clark County, Mizzou, Cardinal and Rams sports fan. More than anything, he and Irene loved being with their family and attending as many of their grandchildren and great-grandchildren's sporting events as time and health allowed.
Funeral services were held Saturday, June 25, 2011, at 10:30 a.m. at St. Paul United Church of Christ in Kahoka with Pastor Shawn McAfee officiating. Burial with military rites followed in St. Paul Church Cemetery.
Memorials in lieu of flowers are suggested to the St. Paul United Church of Christ or the American Heart Association.
|Social Security Administration Information
- Name: Jerry Lee Brunk; Last Residence: 63445 Kahoka, Clark, Missouri, United States of America; Born: 28 December 1933; Last Benefit: 63445 Kahoka, Clark, Missouri, United States of America; Died: 21 June 2011; State (Year) SSN issued: Iowa (Before 1951)
||21 Jun 2011
||Clark Cunty Nursing Home, Kahoka, Clark County, Missouri [5, 6]
||25 Jun 2011
||Saint Paul Cemetery, Kahoka, Clark County, Missouri 
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Clifford Ronald "Cliff" Brunk, b. 22 Apr 1906, Cordell, Washita County, Oklahoma , d. 22 Jul 1977, Burlington Medical Center, Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||Zella Bell Modrell, b. 31 Dec 1910, Bloomfield, Davis County, Iowa , d. 21 Sep 1978, University Hospitals, Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa |
||12 Sep 1926
||Ottumwa, Wapello County, Iowa [9, 10]
|Iowa Marriage Records
- Groom's Name: Clifford Ronald Brunk; Groom's Birth Date: 1904; Groom's Birthplace: Cordell, Oklahoma; Groom's Age: 22; Bride's Name: Zella Bell Modrell; Bride's Birth Date: 1905; Bride's Birthplace: Davis County, Iowa; Bride's Age: 21; Marriage Date: 12 September 1926; Marriage Place: Ottumwa, Wapello, Iowa; Groom's Father's Name: Homer Brunk; Groom's Mother's Name: Cleo Burnel; Bride's Father's Name: Ren S. Modrell; Bride's Mother's Name: Nasenie Or Naremie Good; Groom's Race: White; Groom's Marital Status: Single; Bride's Race: White; Bride's Marital Status: Single; Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M02711-8; System Origin: Iowa-EASy; Source Film Number: 1765288; Reference Number: Pg 355
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa
||The Five Children of Clifford Ronald "Cliff" and Zella Bell (Modrell) Brunk in About 1940|
Child Steven Douglas Brunk was born later; but this photograph features the five oldest children of Cliff and Zella Brunk: Rosemary A., Lawrence Duane "Larry," Jerry Lee, Arnold Deaneen "Arnie," and Ronald Eugene Brunk (1927-1999)
- [S240] Brunk, Jean Louise (Walker) - Obituary (Wilson Funeral Home), (originally published at the Wilson Funeral Home web site, February 2008; Kahoka, Clark County, Missouri) (Reliability: 3).
- [S588] Veromi Report (Reliability: 3).
- [S239] Brunk Family Reunion, (originally published in The Hawk Eye, June 17, 1995; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S71] U.S. Public Records Index (ancestry.com) (Reliability: 3).
- [S776] Social Security Death Index (Reliability: 0).
- [S5001] Brunk, Jerry Lee - Obituary, (originally published at the Wilson Funeral Home web site, June 2011; Fort Madison, Lee County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S11449] Brunk, Jerry Lee - Wounded in an Accident While in the Army in Japan, (originally published in the Burlington Hawk-Eye Gazette, page 3, March 6, 1954; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S8070] Brunk, Clifford Ronald "Cliff" - Obituary, (originally published in The Hawk Eye, page 21, July 24, 1977; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S4999] Brunk, Zella Bell (Modrell) - Obituary, (originally published in The Hawk Eye, page 16, September 22, 1978; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S13] Iowa Marriage Collection, 1809 -1992 (Family Search) (Reliability: 3).