1890 - 1982
||Martha Jane Brown [1, 2] |
||13 Jan 1890
||Pontoosuc, Hancock County, Illinois [3, 4, 5]
||Madison Township, Lee County, Iowa 
- Martha Sly, wife, female, white, age 40, married, age at first marriage 20, did not attend school since September 1929, could read and write, born in Illinois, father's birthplace Illinois, mother's birthplace Kansas, state code: 61, could speak English, occupation none
||13 Feb 1982
||River Hills Nursing Home, Keokuk, Lee County, Iowa [3, 5]
||15 Feb 1982
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|The Hawk Eye |
- Ft. Madison (IA) -- Martha Jane Sly, 92, River Hills Nursing Home, Keokuk, died there at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, February 13.
She was born January 13, 1890, at Pontoosuc, Illinois, to Thomas and Mary Elizabeth Sloat Brown. She married Richard Marion Sly in 1910; he died in March 1967.
A homemaker who spent most of her life in Ft. Madison, she was a member of First Christian church. Surviving: Three sons, Arthur, Nauvoo, Illinois, Wendell, Henrietta, Texas, and Kendall, Wagoner, Oklahoma; two daughters, Mrs. Mary Doty, Ft. Madison, and Mrs. Harold Dorothy Thornburg, Farmington; 15 grandchildren, 26 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild; two brothers, Clarence Brown, California, and Robert Brown, Ft. Madison; sister, Mrs. Sophia Decker, Ft. Madison.
Funeral: 10 a.m. Tuesday, Barr Memorial Chapel, the Reverend Bill Kennedy; Oakland Cemetery.
|Social Security Administration Information
- Martha Sly; born: 13 January 1890; died: February 1982; last residence: 52632 (Keokuk, Lee, Iowa); last benefit: (none specified); Social Security #: 481-12-3025; state where issued: Iowa
||16 Feb 1982
||Oakland Cemetery, Fort Madison, Lee County, Iowa 
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Marion Richard Sly, b. 2 Feb 1888, Missouri , d. Mar 1967, Fort Madison, Lee County, Iowa |
||1910 [5, 6]
| ||1. Mary Elizabeth Sly, b. 14 Jun 1911, Pontoosuc, Hancock County, Illinois , d. 18 Mar 1999, Burlington Medical Center, Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa |
| ||2. Arthur Henry Sly, b. 4 Oct 1915, Burnside, Hancock County, Illinois , d. 16 Apr 2004, Fort Madison Community Hospital, Fort Madison, Lee County, Iowa |
| ||3. Herbert M. Sly, b. 21 Nov 1917, Illinois , d. 27 May 1989|
| ||4. Wendell Richard Sly, b. 6 Aug 1920, Illinois , d. 20 Jun 1992, Henrietta, Clay County, Texas |
| ||5. Kendall Louis Sly, b. 25 Jan 1926, Illinois , d. 27 May 2004|
|>||6. Dorothy Virginia Sly, b. 26 Jun 1930, Fort Madison, Lee County, Iowa , d. 12 Jan 2011, Good Samaritan Society-Van Buren Hospice, Keosauqua, Van Buren County, Iowa |
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S4499] Sly, Arthur Henry - Obituary, (originally published in the online edition of The Hawk Eye, April 16, 2004; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S4501] Doty, Mary Elizabeth (Sly) - Obituary, (originally published in the online edition of The Hawk Eye, March 23, 1999; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S776] Social Security Death Index (Reliability: 3).
- [S11171] World Connect - Allen Family Tree: :3326952, (last updated: 2008-01-20 04:46:04 UTC (Sun), contact: Mike Allen) (Reliability: 3).
- [S4498] Sly, Martha Jane (Brown) - Obituary, (originally published in The Hawk Eye, page 11, February 15, 1982; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S77] 1930 US Census (Reliability: 3).
Madison Township, Lee County, Iowa; enumeration district: 56-26, supervisor's district: 15; sheet number: 2A, page number: 149; enumeration date: April 26, 1930