1881 - 1951
||Charles Henry "Henry" Smith [1, 2] |
||18 Jul 1881
||near Elrick Junction, Louisa County, Iowa [2, 3, 4]
||24 May 1951
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa [2, 4]
|Cause: complications following a stroke |
||27 May 1951
||Elmwood Cemetery, Morning Sun Township, Louisa County, Iowa [2, 4]
||31 May 1951
||Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa 
|the Morning Sun News-Herald |
- Henry Smith Funeral Saturday
Funeral services for Charles Henry Smith, widely known former business man and telegraph operator here, were held Saturday afternoon (May 27, 1951) in the Methodist church with Reverend Robert Dodder in charge. For 42 years a telegrapher and station agent in the employ of the M. & St. L. railroad, Mr. Smith was also associated with other members of his family in the restaurant business in Morning Sun for many years.
Several years ago he suffered a stroke and had been in poor health since that time. On Thursday, May 24, while at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Vera Delzell, in Wapello, he died following another stroke.
He was the son of Henry and Henretta Martin Smith and was born near Elrick Junction, Iowa, on July 18, 1881. He was married to Nora Marshall who died in February, 1950.
Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Vera Delzell, Wapello, and four sons: Merle Smith, Davenport; Albert Smith Wapello; Harold Smith and Raymond Smith, both of Morning Sun. Also surviving is a sister, Katherine Smith, of Marshalltown, six grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
Burial services in Elmwood cemetery were conducted by members of the Masonic lodge.
Out of town people attending funeral services included Katherine Smith Marshalltown; Mr. and Mrs. Merle Smith and sons, Davenport; Mr. and Mrs. Robert Delzell, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Smith and daughter, Bailey, Van Horn, Mr. and Mrs. Burl Mackey and daughter, all of Wapello; Mr and Mrs. Billie Delzell and daughter, Central City Nebraska; Mrs. Nellie Mrs. Nellie Willets, Winfield; Mr. and Mrs. J. K Latta, Washington.
||Louisa County, Iowa, Cemetery Records  |
- Name: Smith, Charles H.; Sex: M; Born: 1881; Died or Buried: 1951; Age: 70; Buried: Elmwood (township = Morning Sun); County/State: Louisa, Iowa; Military Service: none; Book: LCC ©1990 - page MS-71; Notes: 1881-1951
||16 Feb 2014 |
||Nora Blanch "Nettie" Marshall, b. 9 Jul 1881, Cairo, Louisa County, Iowa , d. 17 Feb 1950, Mercy Hospital, Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||20 Dec 1899
||Louisa County, Iowa [4, 5, 6, 7]
|Iowa Marriage Records
- Name: Charles H. Smith; Event Type: Marriage; Event Date: 20 December 1899; Event Place: Louisa County, Iowa, United States; Age: 19; Father's Name: Henry Smith; Mother's Name: Henrietta Martin; Spouse's Name: Nora Marshall; Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1880; Spouse's Father's Name: John Marshall; Spouse's Mother's Name: Lunetta Letsey; Reference ID: cn758 p120; GS Film Number: 1006649; Digital Folder Number: 004309899
- There were five children from this marriage.
|>||1. Vera Estelle Smith, b. 30 May 1901, Newport, Louisa County, Iowa , d. 4 May 1986, University Hospitals, Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa |
| ||2. Raymond Smith, b. 30 May 1911, Iowa , d. 3 Apr 1982|
||12 Feb 2014 |
- [S4433] Delzell, Vera Estelle (Smith) - Obituary, (originally published in an unknown southeast Iowa newspaper, May 1986) (Reliability: 3).
- [S634] Louisa County, Iowa - Cemetery Records Through 1997 (Rootsweb) (Reliability: 3).
- [S337] World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 (ancestry.com and Family Search) (Reliability: 3).
- [S12932] Smith, Charles "Henry" - Obituary, (originally published in the Morning Sun News-Herald, front page, May 31, 1951; Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S38] 1925 Iowa State Census (Reliability: 3).
Morning Sun Township, Louisa County, Iowa; Roll: IAIA1925_1818
- [S13] Iowa Marriage Collection, 1809 -1992 (Family Search) (Reliability: 3).
- [S12933] Smith, Nora Blanch "Nettie" (Marshall) - Obituary, (originally published in the Morning Sun News-Herald, front page, February 23, 1950; Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).