1946 - 2009
||James Albert "Jim" Applegarth [1, 2, 3] |
||10 Jan 1946
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa [4, 5, 6]
- James had a wife previous to Carla Thornburg; her name is unknown.
||19 Oct 1968 
- He was best man at the wedding of Terry Lee Werner and Carol Jean Lowe.
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
||6 Jun 2009
||near Elrick Junction, Louisa County, Iowa [5, 6]
||8 Jun 2009
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|The Hawk Eye |
- James Albert "Jim" Applegarth, 63, of Wever, died at 10:42 p.m. Saturday, June 6, 2009, at his cabin on the Iowa River near Elrick Junction.
Born January 10, 1946, in Burlington, he was the son of Blaine and Betty Geffers Applegarth and Margaret Applegarth. On October 3, 1986, he married Carla Thornburg Libby in West Burlington. She died December 7, 2005.
Mr. Applegarth worked 32 years in maintenance at J.I. Case in Burlington, retiring in 2001. He worked as a truck driver and currently with J & M Displays in Yarmouth. He was of the Christian faith. He enjoyed riding motorcycles, fishing, camping, "grandpi movie nights" and was a Minnesota Vikings fan.
Survivors include two daughters, Kelly Applegarth of Twin Cities, Minnesota, and Nicole Stogdill of Burlington; three sons, Brian Whipps and Rick Mason both of Burlington and Bruce Applegarth of Belle Plaine, Minnesota; eight grandchildren; one great-grandchild; his mother, Margaret Applegarth of Burlington; four brothers, Mike Applegarth of Burlington, John Jones of Spring Valley, California, Jim Jones of Davenport and David Applegarth of Watertown, Wisconsin; two sisters, Lelia Wilkerson of Mount Union and Ann Veith of Kansas City, Missouri; nieces and nephews.
Besides his wife, he was preceded in death by his parents and grandparents.
Visitation will be from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Lunning Chapel in Burlington where the family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m.
The funeral for Mr. Applegarth will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Lunning Chapel with the Reverend Randall Gearhart officiating. Burial will be in Jaggar Cemetery, rural Danville.
A memorial has been established.
|U.S. Public Records Index
- Name: James A. Applegarth; Birth Date: 10 January 1946; Street address: 1258 South Main Street; City: Burlington; County: Des Moines; State: Iowa; Zip Code: 52601; Phone Number: 319-754-9446; Record Number: 434398532
|Social Security Administration Information
- James A. Applegarth; born: 10 January 1946; died: 6 June 2009 (V); last residence: 52658 (Wever, Lee, Iowa); last benefit: (none specified); Social Security #: 478-54-5438; state where issued: Iowa
||10 Jun 2009
||Jaggar Cemetery, Danville Township, Des Moines County, Iowa 
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Blaine Mark "Slim" Applegarth, b. 22 Apr 1916, Haxtun, Phillips County, Colorado , d. 9 Jul 2004, Burlington Care Center, Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||Betty Geffers, b. 26 Jun 1923, d. Jul 1968 |
||Carla Laverne Thornburg, b. 9 Jan 1950, d. 7 Dec 2005, Great River Medical Center, West Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||3 Oct 1986
||West Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa [1, 5]
||Wever, Lee County, Iowa 
||21 Jan 2014 |
||James Albert Applegarth|
James was born January 10, 1946, and died June 6, 2009. He was married twice. His second wife was Carla Laverne (Thornburg) Erickson.
- [S4117] Applegarth, Carla Laverne (Thornburg) - Obituary, (originally published in the online edition of The Hawk Eye, December 10, 2005; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S588] Veromi Report (Reliability: 3).
- [S4489] Geffers, Lelia Julia (Tierney) - Obituary, (originally published in the online edition of The Hawk Eye, September 11, 1998; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S71] U.S. Public Records Index (ancestry.com) (Reliability: 3).
- [S4118] Applegarth, James Albert "Jim" - Obituary, (originally published in the online edition of The Hawk Eye, June 8, 2009; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S776] Social Security Death Index (Reliability: 3).
- [S4826] Werner, Terry Lee and Carol Jean Howe - Marriage Announcement, (originally published in The Burlington Hawk-Eye, page 12, October 23, 1968; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S4116] Applegarth, Blaine Mark "Slim" - Obituary, (originally published in The Hawk Eye, page 9A, July 12, 2004; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).