1901 - 1995
||Ida Fletcher DeSpain  |
||11 Apr 1901
||Pleasant Grove Township, Des Moines County, Iowa 
||New London, Henry County, Iowa 
- Ida Despain, daughter, female, white, age 18, single, attended school since September 1919, could read, could write, born in Iowa, father's birthplace Iowa, mother's birthplace Iowa, could speak English, occupation none
||New London, Henry County, Iowa 
|New London High School |
||New London Township, Henry County, Iowa 
- Ida F. Despain, wife, female, white, age 28, married, age at first marriage 21, did not attend school since September 1929, could read and write, born in Iowa, father's birthplace Iowa, mother's birthplace Iowa, state code: 65, could speak English, occupation none
||Danville, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|a southeast Iowa newspaper |
- Ida F. WILLIS, age 93, died at the Wapello Nursing & Care Center, Monday
morning, February 20, 1995. The daughter of Milton and Martha I.
Beames DeSpain, she was born April 11, 1901, near Pleasant Grove, Iowa.
She married J. Paul Willis on January 31, 1923, at New London. The couple lived in the Mt. Pleasant area for many years before moving to Oakville in 1972. He preceded her in death on February 13, 1981.
She had graduated from the New London High School. She was of the Presbyterian faith. She was a homemaker.
Survivors include a daughter, LeAnna Thornburg of Oakville; a son, William 'Bill' Willis of Ottumwa; thirteen grandchildren; twenty great-grandchildren;
two step-great-grandchildren; two great-great-grandsons; one brother, Clarence DeSpain of Mt. Pleasant; a sister-in-law, Ruby DeSpain of Gary, Indiana; and several nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her parents; husband, Paul; three brothers, Karl and two infants; and a son, Donald.
The funeral service for Ida Willis will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday,
February 23, 1995, at Dudgeon-McCulley Funeral Home, Wapello, with Reverend Mary Pugh officiating. Burial will follow at the Memorial Park Cemetery at Burlington.
Visitation was Wednesday at Dudgeon-McCulley Funeral Home and the family met with friends from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m.
A Memorial Fund has been established.
The casket bearers will be Keith Hardin, Warren Johnson, Michael Donnolly,
Robert Stineman, Tom Cross and Duane Thornburg. THe honorary bearers will be Michael Thornburg, Joe Thornburg and Joseph Willis.
Flower attendants are Ruth Campbell and Jane Lehnert.
Music to be provided by Bev Parsons as organist.
|Social Security Administration Information
- Ida Willis; born: 11 April 1901; died: 20 February 1995; last residence: 52646 (Oakville, Louisa, Iowa); last benefit: (none specified); state where issued: Iowa
||20 Feb 1995
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa 
||23 Feb 1995
||Burlington Memorial Park Cemetery, West Burlington Township, Des Moines County, Iowa [2, 7]
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Milton Thomas DeSpain, Jr., b. 1 Dec 1865, Pleasant Grove, Des Moines County, Iowa , d. 21 Oct 1948, New London, Henry County, Iowa |
||Martha Isabella Beams, b. 1 Dec 1874, Des Moines County, Iowa , d. 20 Feb 1958, Mount Pleasant, Henry County, Iowa |
||12 Feb 1900
||Danville, Des Moines County, Iowa [6, 9]
- There were five children from this marriage.
||Joseph Paul "Paul" Willis, b. 15 May 1899, Jackson Township, Henry County, Iowa , d. 13 Feb 1981, Wapello Nursing Home, Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa |
||31 Jan 1923
||New London, Henry County, Iowa [2, 10]
|>||1. Leanna Marie Willis, b. 30 Nov 1925, Mount Pleasant, Henry County, Iowa , d. 19 Jun 2006, Oakville, Louisa County, Iowa |
| ||2. William Milton"Bill" Willis, b. 13 Mar 1930, Mount Pleasant, Henry County, Iowa , d. 9 Nov 2000, Ottumwa Regional Health Center, Ottumwa, Wapello County, Iowa |
|>||3. Donald Dean Willis, b. 18 Feb 1937, New London, Henry County, Iowa , d. 7 May 1961, Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa |
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S3811] Willis, William Milton "Bill" - Obituary, (originally published in the online edition of The Hawk Eye, November 12, 2000; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S3371] World Connect - DeSpain Family: -despain-, (last updated: 2009-11-11 01:57:02 UTC (Wed), contact homer r. ficken) (Reliability: 3).
- [S19] 1920 US Census (Reliability: 3).
New London town, New London Township, Henry County, Iowa; enumeration district: 39; supervisor's district: 1, sheet number: 14A, page number: 129; enumeration date: January 9, 19, and 21, 1920
- [S266] New London, Iowa - New London Journal Centennial Edition Newspaper, M. Ruth (DeLong) Peterson, (published by The New London Journal on the occasion of the paper's centennial in 1975, Duane Griggs, editor; New London, Henry County, Iowa: composed and printed by The Hawk Eye; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa), page 80 (Reliability: 3).
A list of graduates of New London High School, 1894-1975.
- [S77] 1930 US Census (Reliability: 3).
New London Township, Henry County, Iowa; enumeration district: 44-16, supervisor's district: 15; sheet number: 3B, page number: 230; enumeration date: April 30, 1930
- [S4145] DeSpain , Milton Thomas (Jr.) - Obituary, (originally published in The Burlington Hawk-Eye Gazette, page 21, October 21, 1948; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S10707] Willis, Ida Fletcher (Despain) - Obituary, (originally published in an unknown southeast Iowa newspaper, February 1995) (Reliability: 3).
- [S776] Social Security Death Index (Reliability: 3).
- [S2259] World Connect - 44840: :a44840, (last updated: Sat Aug 25 14:44:09 2001, contact [unknown] Carol Wilk@aol.com) (Reliability: 3).
- [S3809] Willis, Joseph "Paul" - Obituary, (originally published in The Hawk Eye, page 25, February 15, 1981; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).