1918 - 2003
||Mary Jean Shaw  |
||22 Jul 1918
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa 
||Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa [2, 3]
|Morning Sun High School |
||4 Aug 2003
||Mount Pleasant, Henry County, Iowa 
||5 Aug 2003
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|The Hawk Eye |
- Mary Jean Mathews, 85, of Mount Pleasant, formerly of Morning Sun, died Monday, August 4, 2003, at Arbor Court in Mount Pleasant.
Born July 22, 1918, in Wapello, she was the daughter of Harvey and Maude Ruby Shaw. In 1959, she married Hugh Mathews in Cedar Rapids. He died in 1981.
Mrs. Mathews graduated from Morning Sun High School in 1936. She worked in the office at Schramm's in Burlington and then the telephone office for Iowa Illinois Telephone Company in New London.
She was a member of the United Methodist Church in Morning Sun. She loved antiques and shopping.
Survivors include one sister, Dorothy Caris of Mount Pleasant; two nephews; one niece; six grandnieces and nephews; one stepdaughter, Margaret Long of Knoxville; one stepson, John Mathews of Mount Union; stepgrandchildren and step-great-grandchildren.
Besides her husband, she was preceded in death by her parents and one brother.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Dudgeon-McCulley Funeral Home in Wapello where the family will receive friends from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. before the funeral on Thursday.
The funeral for Mrs. Mathews will be at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at the Dudgeon-McCulley Funeral Home with the Revernd Harlan W. Winter officiating. Burial will be in the Wapello Cemetery.
A memorial has been established for the United Methodist Church in Morning Sun.
|Social Security Administration Information
- Mary J. Mathews; born: 22 July 1918; died: 4 August 2003 (V); last residence: 52641 (Mount Pleasant, Henry, Iowa); last benefit: 52641 (Mount Pleasant, Henry, Iowa); state where issued: Iowa
||7 Aug 2003
||Wapello Cemetery, Wapello Township, Louisa County, Iowa 
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Harvey G. Shaw, b. 8 Apr 1876, Toolesboro, Louisa County, Iowa , d. 8 Feb 1949, near Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa |
||Maude Myrtle Ruby, b. 8 Mar 1891, d. 13 Jun 1971, rural Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa |
||14 Oct 1914 
- There were three children from this marriage.
||Hugh Dewaine Mathews, b. 18 Dec 1908, Mount Union, Henry County, Iowa , d. 28 May 1981, Henry County Health Center, Mount Pleasant, Henry County, Iowa |
||4 Jun 1959
||Cedar Rapids, Linn County, Iowa 
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S614] World Connect - mathews: :1650097, (last updated: 2008-02-20 05:45:12 UTC (Wed), contact: Debbie Koch) (Reliability: 3).
- [S3443] Mathews, Mary Jean (Shaw) - Obituary, (originally published in the online edition of The Hawk Eye, August 5, 2003; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S8133] Louisa's History - Volume 10 Number 2 Morning Sun Graduates, (originally published in Louisa's History by the Louisa County Historical Society, Volume 10, Number 2, April 2008; Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S776] Social Security Death Index (Reliability: 3).
- [S3444] Shaw, Harvey G. - Obituary, (originally published in The Burlington Hawk-Eye Gazette, February 8, 1949; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S3407] Mathews, Hugh Dewaine - Obituary, (originally published in The Hawk Eye, page 11, May 29, 1981; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).