1915 - 2011
||Rev. Dr. Martin E. Lehmann [1, 2] |
||Rev. Dr. |
||8 May 1915
||Benkelman, Dundy County, Nebraska [2, 3, 4, 5]
||8 May 2005
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|The Hawk Eye |
- The Reverend Martin E. Lehmann of rural Sperry will celebrate his 90th birthday today. His daughter will host a family dinner.
He was born May 8, 1915, in Benkelman, Nebraska. In 1940, he married Louise Morgenroth. She died in 1972.
He has one daughter, Margaret Carroll of Las Vegas; two granddaughters, Tracy and Shell;, and three great-grandchildren, Destiny, Timothy and Beau Anthony.
The Reverend Lehmann received his education in the United States, Canada and Germany. June 2 will mark the 65th anniversary of his ordination into the ministry. He was a pastor for 20 years, serving at Bethany Lutheran Church in Burlington from 1948 to 1960. He was professor of church history at Central Seminary in Fremont, Nebraska, and Luther Northwestern Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota, for 25 years. In 1974, he married Gloria Niehaus and they traveled around the world on sabbatical doing research on a German missionary in Sumatra and visiting key historical places. Since retirement, they have lived in rural Sperry.
||18 Aug 2011
||rural Sperry, Des Moines County, Iowa [2, 5]
||20 Aug 2011
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|The Hawk Eye |
- The Reverend Doctor Martin E. Lehmann, age 96, of rural Sperry, died Thursday, August 18, 2011, at his home. Born May 8, 1915, in Benkelman, Nebraska, he was the son of Reverend Henry and Gertrude Jacobskoetter Lehmann. He married A. Louise Morgenroth August 13, 1940, in Saskatoon, Canada. She died March 14, 1972. On July 28, 1974, he married Gloria J. Niehaus at St. Paul's Lutheran Church in rural Sperry, Iowa.
He attended schools in Kansas, Germany and Canada. He graduated from the University of Saskatchewan and Lutheran College and Theological Seminary in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. He received his STM at Hamma School of Theology in 1945 and his ThD from Princeton Seminary in 1948.
Reverend Lehmann was ordained into the ministry June 2, 1940. He served as pastor at First Hungarian Lutheran Church, Detroit, Michigan, 1939-1941; Zion Lutheran Church, Walsh, Illinois 1941-1947 and Bethany Lutheran Church, Burlington and St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Sperry 1948-1960.
In 1960 he became Professor of Church History at Central Lutheran Seminary, Fremont, Nebraska, then served in the same capacity and as Dean of Students for 18 years at Luther Northwestern Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota. Dr. Lehmann retired in 1985. In 1986 he and Gloria moved to rural Sperry, Iowa. He served several interims and as a supply pastor for many years.
Dr. Lehmann authored three books and was translator and editor of Volume 38 of the American edition of "Luther's Works". He spent a sabbatical at the University of Erlangen in Germany and in 1974-75 he and Gloria traveled around the world visiting Lutheran Seminaries, the Holy Land, historic sites and doing research on a German missionary in Sumatra of Indonesia.
Reveremd Lehmann was a member of Immanuel Lutheran Church in Mediapolis, the Southeastern Iowa Synod of the ELCA and the Lutheran Historical Conference.
He enjoyed visiting and corresponding with family and friends, colleagues, former students and parishioners, time spent in his study with devotions, reading and writing and watching the wonders of nature around his home.
Survivors include his wife, Gloria, daughter, Margaret Russo (Doug Beasley) of Logandale, Nevada, granddaughter, Tracy Gamroth, great grandchildren, Destiny Gamroth, Timothy Gamroth, Beau Haugen and great-great-grandson, Ayden Gamroth, all of Nevada, a brother, Dr. Arnold Lehmann of Spokane, Washington, nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, first wife Louise, an infant daughter Lois, a granddaughter Shelly Haugen, and a brother, Reverend Doctor Helmut Lehmann.
The funeral ceremony for The Reverend Doctor Martin E. Lehmann will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Monday, August 22, 2011, at the Immanuel Lutheran Church in Mediapolis with Reverend Jerleen Schlesser and Reverend David Aanonson officiating.
Burial will be later at the Roselawn Cemetery in Roseville, Minnesota.
Friends may call from noon to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday at the Hagele and Honts Funeral Home in Mediapolis where the family will meet friends from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
A Memorial Fund has been established.
||22 Aug 2011
||Mediapolis, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|the Immanuel Lutheran Church |
|Social Security Administration Information
- Name: Martin E. Lehmann; Last Residence: 52650 Sperry, Des Moines, Iowa; Born: 8 May 1915; Died: 18 August 2011; State (Year) SSN issued: Iowa (1955)
||Dale/Rice Cemetery, Roseville, Ramsey County, Minnesota 
||31 Mar 2015 |
||A. Louise Morgenroth, d. 14 Mar 1972 |
||13 Aug 1940
||Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada [2, 3]
- There were two daughters from this marriage; one died in infancy.
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S3324] Niehaus, Alma Louis (Burgus) - Obituary, (originally published in the online edition of The Hawk Eye, Thursday, November 20, 2003; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S3704] Lehmann, Martin E. (Rev. Dr.) - Obituary, (originally published in the online edition of The Hawk Eye, August 20, 2011; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S3327] Lehmann, Martin E. (Rev. Dr.) - 90th Birthday Announcement, (originally published in the online edition of The Hawk Eye, May 8, 2005; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S71] U.S. Public Records Index (ancestry.com) (Reliability: 3).
- [S776] Social Security Death Index (Reliability: 3).