1838 - 1913
||Joseph R. Shipman [1, 2] |
||Between 1836 and 1837
||7 Mar 1838
||Pennsylvania [2, 3, 4]
||Wapello Township, Louisa County, Iowa 
- (Joseph R. Shipman was married to Lurena, lived with her and children Charles F. and M. Mary Shipman, along with 18-year-old farm laborer, Charles Kerr, and a niece, Mary Whited, aged 20:) Joseph R. Shipman, head of household, married, male, white, age 43, born in Pennsylvania, farmer, father's birthplace Pennsylvania, mother's birthplace Pennsylvania
Mary Whited, niece, single, female, white, age 20, born in Iowa, domestic servant, father's birthplace Ohio, mother's birthplace Ohio
||6 Nov 1913
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa [2, 4]
|Cause: a stroke of paralysis |
||8 Nov 1913
||Wapello Cemetery, Wapello Township, Louisa County, Iowa [2, 4]
||13 Nov 1913
||Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa 
|the Morning Sun News-Herald |
- Joseph R. Shipman Passes Away.
Joseph R. Shipman, a well-known resident of Wapello, died at his home Thursday afternoon last (November 6, 1913), following a stroke of paralysis. The funeral services were held at the Methodist church in Wapello, Saturday afternoon, conducted by Reverend A. W. McBlain.
Mr. Shipman was born in Pennsylvania March 7, 1838. He saw service in the Civil war, being a member of Co. F, Nineteenth Iowa Regiment. He was an inmate of a rebel prison for ten months in 1863, and was afterwards exchanged and rejoined his regiment. Mr. Shipman is survived by his widow and three children.
||Louisa County, Iowa, Cemetery Records  |
- Name: Joseph R. Shipman; Sex: M; Born: 1838; Died or Buried: 1913; Age: 75; Buried: Wapello (township = Wapello); County/State: Louisa, Iowa; Military Service: GAR; Book: LCC ©1990 - page W-93; Notes: born 1838; died 1913 -Co. F, 19th Iowa Infantry -GAR
||2 Feb 2014 |
||Lourana Strope, b. 1842, Ohio , d. 26 Mar 1926, Atalissa, Muscatine County, Iowa |
||24 Aug 1871
||Louisa County, Iowa 
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S26] Iowa Marriages, 1851-1900 (ancestry.com) (Reliability: 4).
- [S634] Louisa County, Iowa - Cemetery Records Through 1997 (Rootsweb) (Reliability: 4).
- [S628] 1880 US Census (Reliability: 3).
Source Information: Census Place: Wapello, Louisa, Iowa; Family History Library Film: 1254350; T9-0350 455C
- [S12755] Shipman, Joseph R. - Obituary, (originally published in the Morning Sun News-Herald, page 4, November 13, 1913; Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S634] Louisa County, Iowa - Cemetery Records Through 1997 (Rootsweb) (Reliability: 3).