1862 - 1950
||Franklin J. "Frank" Mellinger [1, 2, 3] |
||7 Mar 1862
||Iowa [2, 4, 5]
||Eliot Township, Louisa County, Iowa 
- Frank J. Millinger, son, single, male, white, age 18, born in Iowa, at home, father's birthplace GER, mother's birthplace GER
||Oakville, Louisa County, Iowa 
||28 Apr 1950
||Mercy Hospital, Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
||30 Apr 1950
||Edwards Cemetery, Oakville, Louisa County, Iowa [2, 5, 7]
||6 May 1950
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa 
|The Wapello Republican |
- Frank Mellinger, One of Oldest Residents of Oakville, Dies Friday
Frank Joseph Mellinger, 88, one of Oakville's oldest residents, died in Mercy Hospital, Burlington, last Friday (April 28, 1950). He had been in failing health for a year and had been hospitalized for six weeks.
Mr. Mellinger was born on a farm southeast of Oakville, March 7, 1862, the son of George and Sophia Mellinger. His parents were early residents of the vicinity.
He was married to Mary Hester Schultz at Fairview on July 20, 1884. He farmed for several years, then moved into Oakville where he operated an oil business for many years.
The widow survives, as do two sons and a daughter; Perry Mellinger, Davenport; Russell Mellinger, Oakville, and Mrs. Austin Davis, Burlington. Another son, Ross Mellinger was killed in an industrial accident at East Moline on June 24, 1948.
Also surviving are three brothers: John Mellinger, Caston, Illinois, Charles Mellinger, Burlington, and George Mellinger, Mediapolis, six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. A brother and five sisters are dead.
Funeral services were held at the Presbyterian Church in Oakville Sunday afternoon at 2:00 o'clock. The Reverend Mark E. Weston, pastor of the Oakville Methodist church officiated. Burial was in Creighton cemetery. [The Creighton cemetery now is known as the Edwards Cemetery.]
||Louisa County, Iowa, Cemetery Records  |
- Name: Frank J. Mellinger; Sex: M; Born: 1862; Died or Buried: 1950; Age: 88; Buried: Edwards (township = Eliot); County/State: Louisa, Iowa; Military Service: none; Book: LCC ©1990 - page E-14; Notes: 1862-1950
||31 Mar 2015 |
||George William Mellinger, b. 27 Mar 1828, Altsimonswald, Baden , d. 18 Mar 1917, Fairview, Louisa County, Iowa |
||Sophia Herr, b. 13 May 1833, Altsimonswald, Baden , d. 20 Mar 1923, Oakville, Louisa County, Iowa |
||Orange County, New York [2, 3]
||Mary Hester Schultz, b. 20 Oct 1862, Indiana , d. 29 Oct 1951, Oakville, Louisa County, Iowa |
||20 Jul 1884
||Fairview, Louisa County, Iowa [1, 2, 5]
|Iowa Marriage Records
- Name: Franklin J. Mellinger; Spouse: Mary Schultz; Marriage Date: 20 July 1884; County: Louisa County, Iowa
- There were four children from this marriage.
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S26] Iowa Marriages, 1851-1900 (ancestry.com) (Reliability: 3).
- [S1991] World Connect - HOUTZ, MELLINGER, SCHREINER, FARIS: dschrein, (last updated: Thu Jan 27 15:32:58 2000, contact Diane Schreiner) (Reliability: 3).
- [S30] Louisa County, Iowa - Louisa County History 1911, Arthur Springer, (The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911, Chicago, Illinois), pages 108-109 (Reliability: 3).
- [S628] 1880 US Census (Reliability: 4).
Source Information: Census Place, Family History Library Film: Eliot, Louisa, Iowa; NA Film Number: 1254350; Page Number: T9-0350 440C
- [S3173] Mellinger, Franklin J. "Frank" - Obituary, (originally published in The Wapello Republican, May 6, 1950; Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S10418] Mellinger, Sophia (Herr) - Obituary, (originally published in The Burlington Hawk-Eye, page 3, March 21, 1923; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S634] Louisa County, Iowa - Cemetery Records Through 1997 (Rootsweb) (Reliability: 4).
- [S634] Louisa County, Iowa - Cemetery Records Through 1997 (Rootsweb) (Reliability: 3).