1916 - 2002
||Phillip Roy Downs [1, 2, 3] |
||7 Aug 1916
||near Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa [2, 3, 4]
- He remarried to Genevieve Marie (Green) Cook in 1963.
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa 
|Wapello High School |
|an unknown southeast Iowa newspaper; republished at Find A Grave |
- Philip R. Downs, 86, Wapello, died Tuesday, November 12, 2002, at the Wapello Nursing & Rehab Center, Wapello.
Services are 2 p.m. Friday at the Dudgeon-McCulley Funeral Home, Wapello. The Reverend Harlan W. Winter will officiate. Burial will be at the Wapello Cemetery, with military rites conducted by the Veterans of Foreign Wars Glenn Allen Post No. 5166 of Wapello.
Visitation is 2-8 p.m. today, with 6:30 p.m. Masonic rites, at the funeral home.
A memorial fund has been established for the Wapello Community Ambulance Service, the Wapello Rescue Unit and the Community Health Care of Wapello.
Mr. Downs was born August 7, 1916, near Wapello, the son of Roy and Frankie Menefee Downs. He married Genevieve Green Cook May 4, 1963, in Washington. She preceded him in death September 25, 1981.
He graduated from Wapello High School in 1936. He served with the Antitank Company of the 168th Infantry in the U.S. Army during World War II, having attained the rank of Corporal. He was a POW in Germany. He was a land surveyor for Louisa County. He enjoyed the outdoors, especially hunting and fishing. He was a member of the United Methodist Church, Wapello; a 50-year member of the Wapello Lodge No. 5 A.F. amp; A.M.; member of the KAABA Shrine; and a life member of the VFW Glenn Allen Post No. 5166. Survivors include a stepson, Lyle Cook of Wapello; three step-granddaughters; and several step- great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his wife; his parents; a stepdaughter, Sandra Fearing; and a sister, Virginia Harris.
|Social Security Administration Information
- Name: Philip R. Downs; Ssn: 478-03-9105; Last Residence: 52653 Wapello, Louisa, Iowa, Usa; Born: 7 August 1916; Died: 12 November 2002; State (Year) Ssn Issued: Iowa (Before 1951)
||12 Nov 2002
||Wapello Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa [2, 3, 4]
||Wapello Cemetery, Wapello Township, Louisa County, Iowa [2, 3]
||8 Mar 2014 |
||Jean Verlie Wagg, b. 25 Aug 1925, Port Louisa Township, Louisa County, Iowa , d. 12 Nov 1989, Mount Vernon, Jefferson County, Illinois |
||Yes, date unknown
||12 Feb 2014 |
- [S1293] World Connect - Westfall: :605328, (last updated: Sat Aug 25 19:19:50 2001, contact Nancy Wagner [deceased]) (Reliability: 3).
- [S426] Find A Grave (web site) (Reliability: 3).
- [S12930] Downs, Phillip Roy - Obituary, (originally published in an unknown southeast Iowa newspaper, November 2002; republished at Find A Grave) (Reliability: 3).
- [S776] Social Security Death Index (Reliability: 3).