1910 - 1935
||Lena Eudora Beard  |
||18 Dec 1910
||Louisa County, Iowa [1, 2]
||Wapello Township, Louisa County, Iowa 
- Lena Beard, daughter, female, white, age 9, single, attended school since September 1919, born in Iowa, father's birthplace Virginia, mother's birthplace Virginia, occupation none
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa 
|Wapello High School |
||9 Jun 1929
||Davenport, Scott County, Iowa 
|The Davenport Democrat and Leader |
- Graduate 23 From Wapello School at Impressive Event
Special to The Democrat
Wapello, Iowa, June 8 -- The annual graduation of the Wapello consolidated school was held in the high school auditorium Thursday evening, and a class of 23 received diplomas. The Reverend B. G. Hanks gave the invocation and Arthur Springer, president of the school board, introduced the Reverend E. G. Williams, pastor of Westminster Presbyterian church, Des Moines, the speaker.
Superintendent G. L. Troe presented the class, announcing Harriet Webster as honor pupil and Edward Vincent, second. Miss Webster's name will be engraved on the silver loving cup which was presented to the school last year.
Other members of the class are: Lena E. Beard, Carol M. Bissinger, Donald C. Bissinger, Nellie Evelyn Blanchard, Marion H. Cover, Pauline Frances Crammond, Lillis H. Crow, James D. Dean (sic: Deam), Madeleine R. Drank, Clifford O. Gerth, Mildred Lucile McNatton, Burt Matthews, Ruth Minor, Freaman Reid, Mary E. Schwob, Jessie M. Syphrit, Edith Ione Wagg, Sam Walker, Elsie A. Wykert.
Edward Vincent, president of the class, in behalf of the high school, presented Mr. Troe with a silver loving cup. The presentation of the diplomas by Arthur Springer closed the evening's program.
||Graduate 23 From Wapello School at Impressive Event
A report on the 1929 high school graduation at Wapello High School, Louisa County, Iowa. The class roll included: Harriet Webster, Edward Vincent, Lena E. Beard, Carol M. Bissinger, Donald C. Bissinger, Nellie Evelyn Blanchard, Marion H. Cover, Pauline Frances Crammond, Lillis H. Crow, James D. Dean (sic: Deam), Madeleine R. Drank, Clifford O. Gerth, Mildred Lucile McNatton, Burt Matthews, Ruth Minor, Freaman Reid, Mary E. Schwob, Jessie M. Syphrit, Edith Ione Wagg, Sam Walker, and Elsie A. Wykert.
||12 Jan 1935
||Burlington Hospital, Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa [1, 2]
||14 Jan 1935
||Wapello Cemetery, Wapello Township, Louisa County, Iowa [1, 2, 5]
||17 Jan 1935
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa 
|The Wapello Republican |
- This community was saddened by the unexpected news of the death of Mrs. Wm. Maddux, 24, a resident of this county. She leaves a husband and baby daughter about a week old and many friends and relatives who mourn this young woman's passing.
Lena Eudora Beard Maddux was born in Louisa County, December 18, 1910, and passed away January 12, 1935, in Burlington hospital.
She lived all her life in Louisa county, attending rural school and graduating from Wapello high school in the class of 1929, also from Cedar Rapids business college.
In May 1934, she was united in marriage to William Maddux, who with a baby daughter, Joanne survives. She is also survived by her parents, Mrs. and Mrs. Myron Beard, one sister, Mrs. Myrtle Wahl of Burlington, Iowa, two brothers, Orton and Glen, at home and many relatives and friends.
The funeral was held Monday afternoon in charge of Dr. J. R. Fraser, with prayer and song at the home, followed by the service in the Methodist church. Mrs. A. J. Williamson and Mrs. Ed Blasi, with Miss Margaret Gerth at the piano sang, "Saved by Grave" and "Will We Know Our Loved Ones There." Misses Ruth Minor and Mary Schwob of the class of '29 were in charge of the flowers. The pallbearers were Charles Syphrit, Dale Schlutz, Clifford Gerth, Henry Cowles, James Deams, and Vernon Mills.
Burial was in the Wapello cemetery.
- She died less than two weeks after the birth of her daughter, Joanne; likely its cause was complications suffered after childbirth.
||Find A Grave Memorial# 7197630 and Louisa County, Iowa, Cemetery Records [2, 6] |
- Her grave is at the Grandview Cemetery, Grandview, Louisa County, Iowa; memorial provided courtesy of Alberta Daniels Withrow
There was no headstone photo online at the Find A Grave web site as of July 2012
(Louisa County, Iowa, Cemetery Records:) Name: Lena E. Maddux Beard; Sex: F; Born: 1910; Died or Buried: 1935; Age: 25; Buried: Wapello (township = Wapello); County/State: Louisa, Iowa; Military Service: none; Book: LCC ©1990 - page W-70; Notes: born December 1910; died January 1935
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Myron Douglas Beard, b. 13 Oct 1879, Virginia , d. 19 Jul 1966, Saint Francis Hospital, Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||Nancy Rebecca "Nannie" Hopkins, b. 21 Aug 1879, Rockingham County, Virginia , d. 2 Jan 1962, Mercy Hospital, Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||24 Dec 1902
||Singers Glen, Rockingham County, Virginia 
- There were at least three children from this marriage.
||William Edward "Bill" Maddux, b. 20 Jun 1914, near Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa , d. 4 Sep 1995, Saint Paul, Ramsey County, Minnesota |
||May 1934 
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa 
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S3081] Maddux, Lena Eudora (Beard) - Obituary, (originally published in The Wapello Republican, January 17, 1935, page 1; Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa) (Reliability: 4).
- [S426] Find A Grave (web site) (Reliability: 3).
- [S19] 1920 US Census (Reliability: 3).
Wapello Township, Louisa County, Iowa; enumeration district: 105; supervisor's district: 1, sheet number: 3A, page number: 266; enumeration date: January 19 and 20, 1920
- [S8049] Wapello High School - 1929 Class Graduation (article), (originally published in The Davenport Democrat and Leader, page 15, June 9, 1929, Davenport, Scott County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S634] Louisa County, Iowa - Cemetery Records Through 1997 (Rootsweb).
- [S634] Louisa County, Iowa - Cemetery Records Through 1997 (Rootsweb) (Reliability: 3).
- [S3082] Beard, Nancy Rebecca "Nannie" (Hopkins) - Obituary, (originally published in The Burlington Hawk-Eye, page 3, January 3, 1962; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S3080] Wilkerson, Chad Douglas - Birth Announcement, (originally published in The Hawk Eye, page 6, November 30, 1973; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).