1911 - 2003
||Helen Anna Marie Davis  |
||2 Mar 1911
||near Mediapolis, Des Moines County, Iowa 
||Mediapolis, Des Moines County, Iowa [1, 2]
|Mediapolis High School |
||Mediapolis, Des Moines County, Iowa 
||12 Jan 2003
||Great River Medical Center, West Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
||13 Jan 2003
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|The Hawk Eye |
- Helen Anna Marie Gerling, 91, of Mediapolis, died Sunday morning, January 12, 2003, at the Great River Medical Center at West Burlington.
The daughter of Victor and Hattie Cling Davis, she was born March 2, 1911, near Mediapolis. She married Robert Burgus Gerling on June 5, 1935, in Mediapolis. He died November 19, 1978.
She graduated from the Mediapolis High School in 1930, received her normal training and taught school briefly in rural Des Moines County.
Mrs. Gerling was an active member of the Immanuel Lu-theran Church in Mediapolis. She loved to read, bake and crochet.
Survivors include three daughters, Doris Gray of Cedar Rapids, Leona Rich of Central City, and RoseMary McElhinney of Tipton; one son, Bob Gerling of Mediapolis; nine grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; and a sister-in-law.
Besides her husband, she was preceded in death her parents, six brothers, and a son-in-law.
Friends may call after noon today at the Hagele and Honts Funeral Home in Mediapolis where the family will receive friends from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
The funeral for Mrs. Gerling will be at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday at the Immanuel Lutheran Church in Mediapolis with Reverend Mary Jo Maass officiating. Burial will follow in the Kossuth Cemetery, Mediapolis.
Memorials have been established for the Immanuel Lu-theran Church and the Mediapolis Volunteer Fire Department.
|Social Security Administration Information
- Helen A. Gerling; born: 2 March 1911; died: 12 January 2003 (V); last residence: 52637 (Mediapolis, Des Moines, Iowa); last benefit: (none specified); state where issued: Iowa
||16 Jan 2003
||Kossuth Cemetery, Yellow Spring Township, Des Moines County, Iowa 
||3 Feb 2014 |
||Victor Alexander Davis, b. 23 Jul 1869, Huron Township, Des Moines County, Iowa , d. 2 Mar 1961, Harmony Home, Mediapolis, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||Hattie Charlotte Cling, b. Between 1875 and 1876, Sweden , d. 7 Sep 1958, Kossuth Cemetery, Yellow Spring Township, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||10 May 1883
||Iowa [3, 5]
- There were seven children from this marriage.
||Robert Burgus Gerling, b. 3 Aug 1908, Des Moines County, Iowa , d. 19 Nov 1978, University Hospitals, Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa |
||5 Jun 1935
||Mediapolis, Des Moines County, Iowa [1, 6]
- There were four children from this marriage.
||21 Jan 2014 |
||Helen Anna Marie Davis|
This was Helen Davis's senior class photograph, as published on the 1930 Mediapolis High School graduation class photograph in Mediapolis, Iowa.
- [S3592] Gerling, Helen Anna Marie (Davis) - Obituary, (originally published in the online edition of The Hawk Eye, January 13, 2003; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S7927] Mediapolis High School Graduates 1892-1960 and Class Photos 1914-1960 (Reliability: 3).
- [S12793] Davis, Victor Alexander - Obituary, (originally published in The Burlington Hawk-Eye, March 1961; republished on Find A Grave) (Reliability: 3).
- [S776] Social Security Death Index (Reliability: 3).
- [S38] 1925 Iowa State Census (Reliability: 3).
Morning Sun Township, Louisa County, Iowa
- [S3593] Gerling, Robert Burgus - Obituary, (originally published in The Hawk Eye, page 10, November 20, 1978; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).