1871 - 1956
||Joseph B. Hochstetler [1, 2] |
||13 Aug 1871
||Johnson County, Iowa [1, 2]
||Sharon Township, Johnson County, Iowa 
- Joseph Hostettler, son, single, male, white, age 8, born in Iowa, occupation at home, father's birthplace Indiana, mother's birthplace Pennsylvania
||22 Sep 1956
||Mercy Hospital, Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa 
||25 Sep 1956
||East Union Mennonite Cemetery, Sharon Center, Johnson County, Iowa [2, 3]
||6 Nov 1956
|the Gospel Herald; republished at Find A Grave (web site) |
- Joseph B. Hochstetler, son of Benjamin A. and Elizabeth (Schrock) Hochstetler, was born in Johnson County, Iowa, August 13, 1871; died at the Mercy Hospital, Iowa City, Iowa, September 22, 1956; aged 85 years, 1 month, 9 days. His entire life was spent in the same community where he was born. In his youth he became a member of the church and remained a faithful Christian to the end.
On December 3, 1893, he was married to Mary Ann Stutzman, who died April 15, 1936. To this union 11 children were born. Surviving are 8 children (Lena, Mrs. Lee Schlabach, Mulino, Oregon; Ben, North English, Iowa; Anna, Mrs. Theodore Larsen, Kalona, Iowa; Ira, Iowa City; Ira, Denver, Colorado; Mrs. Gertrude Shetler, Wellman; Omar, Topeka, Indiana; and Earl, Ligonier, Indiana), 32 grandchildren, 30 great-grandchildren, one brother and 2 sisters (Dave, Mrs. Lizzie Yoder; and Mary, Mrs. John Yoder).
After his marriage, they moved on the farm near Kalona where he resided at the time of his death. Besides their own children, they also made a home for Susie Pugh for a number of years.
He had been very sick about 5 years ago but regained normal health again for one of his years until a few days before his death. He did not feel the necessity of consulting a doctor until the day of his death, when he was immediately taken to the hospital but died less than 12 hours later.
He spent much of his time reading and in meditation and prayer.
Funeral services were held September 25 at the East Union Church in charge of Albert S. Miller and Morris Swartzendruber.
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Benjamin J. Hochstetler, b. 26 Sep 1844, Goshen, Elkhart County, Indiana , d. 16 Nov 1924, Kalona, Washington County, Iowa |
||Elizabeth Schrock, b. 23 Sep 1844, Somerset County, Pennsylvania , d. 5 May 1935, Kalona, Washington County, Iowa |
||12 Dec 1864
||Johnson County, Iowa 
||25 Dec 1864
||Kalona, Washington County, Iowa 
|Iowa Marriage Records
- Groom's Name: Benj. J. Hockstettler; Bride's Name: Elisabeth Schrock; Marriage Date: 12 December 1864; Marriage Place: Johnson County, Iowa; Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M86683-0; System Origin: Iowa-VR; Source Film Number: 1685784; Reference Number: 2:3KKCZJT
||Mary Ann Stutzman, b. 7 Jan 1870, Kalona, Washington County, Iowa , d. 15 Apr 1936, Kalona, Washington County, Iowa |
||3 Dec 1893 
- There were 11 children from this marriage.
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S628] 1880 US Census (Reliability: 3).
From LDS Familysearch.org, online. Census Place: Family History Library Film: Sharon, Johnson, Iowa; NA Film Number: 1254348; Page Number: T9-0348 243C.
- [S7468] Hochstetler, Joseph B. - Obituary (Find A Grave), (originally published in Iowa in the Gospel Herald, Volume XLIX, Number 45, November 6, 1956; pages 1070, 1071, 1072; republished at Find A Grave (web site); Memorial #: 88004304) (Reliability: 3).
- [S426] Find A Grave (web site) (Reliability: 3).
- [S13] Iowa Marriage Collection, 1809 -1992 (Family Search) (Reliability: 3).
- [S94] LDS Online Record.