1905 - 1906
||Thelma Verlee Allen  |
||5 May 1905 
||5 Jun 1905 
||9 Jan 1906 
||26 Jan 1906
||Newport, Louisa County, Iowa 
|Cause: complications resulting from being burned |
||2 Feb 1906
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa 
|The Wapello Tribune |
- A sad death occurred in the family of Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Allen at Newport last Monday afternoon, their little eight months' old baby, Thelma, being burned to such an extent that she died a few hours later. The mother went to a neighbor's in the morning leaving her two children, a boy about three years old and the little baby, alone. When she returned about nine o'clock she was horrified to find the baby's clothes all aflame. The child was horribly burned about the face and hands and upper part of the body and died from the effects about three o'clock in the afternoon.
Friday, February 2, 1906. Page 5
Newport. A terrible accident occurred in this little village last Monday morning. Mrs. Allen, wife of our blacksmith, put her eight months old baby to sleep, laying it in a rocking chair near the stove, and giving her little two year old boy his breakfast put him at the table to eat while she ran a short distance to see a neighbor. Little Roy having finished his breakfast, got down from the table and it is supposed got to playing in the fire as a stick was found by the stove afire and the stove door was open. The first thing that met the mother's eyes on opening the door was the rocking chair and her baby in a blaze. She carried it to the door crying for help. The baby was carried to the home of T. A. Baird and a physician was called and all that loving hearts and hands could do to soothe its suffering was done, but death relieved it from all pain at 3:00 o'clock that afternoon. The parents have the sympathy of the entire neighborhood in this sad bereavement. Thelma Verlee Allen, little daughter of Frank and Nellie Allen, was born May 5th, 1905, and died January 26, 1906, being 7 months and 21 days old. Funeral services were held at the Bethel church Tuesday at 2 o'clock conducted by Reverend Blanchard, of Wapello. Interment in Bethel cemetery. The parents and one little brother is left to mourn its loss.
||Louisa County, Iowa, Cemetery Records  |
- Name: Allen, Thelma; Sex: F; Born: 1905; Died or Buried: 1906; Age: 1; Buried: Bethel (township = Wapello); County/State: Louisa, Iowa; Military Service: none; Book: LCC ©1990 - page W-3; Notes: born 5 June 1905 d. 9 January 1906
||Bethel Cemetery, Wapello Township, Louisa County, Iowa 
||22 Feb 2014 |
||John Frank "Frank" Allen, b. Abt 1874, Marion County, Indiana , d. Between 1908 and 1910 |
||Nellie E. Brady, b. 26 Jun 1886, Iowa , d. 26 Jan 1918, Newport, Louisa County, Iowa |
||22 Jun 1902
||Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa [4, 5, 6]
|Iowa Marriage Records
- Name: John F. Allen; Event Type: Marriage; Event Date: 22 June 1902; Event Place: Louisa County, Iowa, United States; Age: 28; Father's Name: John P. Allen; Mother's Name: Lyda Dilliman; Spouse's Name: Nellie Brady; Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1886; Spouse's Father's Name: Cornelius Brady; Spouse's Mother's Name: Caroline Foster; Reference Id: cn1033 p398; Gs Film Number: 1006649; Digital Folder Number: 004309899
- Researcher Caecilia Wilson sent the following information: "I found their wedding license at the Louisa County [Iowa] court house dated June 22, 1902. Nellie was 15 years old and John Allen was 27."
- [S9873] Allen, Thelma Verlee - Death Notices, (originally published in The Wapello Tribune, Friday, February 2, 1906, Page 1; Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S634] Louisa County, Iowa - Cemetery Records Through 1997 (Rootsweb) (Reliability: 4).
- [S634] Louisa County, Iowa - Cemetery Records Through 1997 (Rootsweb) (Reliability: 3).
- [S784] Wilson, Caecilia - Email (Reliability: 3).
Information Caecilia found researching in Louisa County
- [S30] Louisa County, Iowa - Louisa County History 1911, Arthur Springer, (The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1911, Chicago, Illinois), pages 212-213 (Reliability: 3).
- [S13] Iowa Marriage Collection, 1809 -1992 (Family Search) (Reliability: 3).