1870 - 1931
||Sophie Salma Anderson [1, 2, 3] |
||11 May 1870
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa [4, 5, 6]
- Her middle name was probably "Selma," but one reference to it spelled it "Salma," that being for son George's Iowa birth record.
||Pleasant Grove Township, Des Moines County, Iowa 
- Sophie Anderson, daughter, single, female, white, age 10, born in Iowa, occupation in school, father's birthplace Switzerland, mother's birthplace (none listed)
||30 Mar 1931
||Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa [4, 6]
||1 Apr 1931
||Elmwood Cemetery, Morning Sun Township, Louisa County, Iowa [4, 6]
||2 Apr 1931
||Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa 
|The Morning Sun News-Herald |
- Well-Known Resident Passes Away Last Rites for Mrs. Elmer Swanson, Wednesday.
Mrs. Sophia Swanson, 60, widow of the late E. E. Swanson, died at her home in this city, Monday noon, March 30th (1931), following a brief illness with pneumonia. For the second time the last three months death entered this home, Mr. Swanson passing away January 8 last.
The funeral services were held from the Union church Wednesday afternoon, conducted by the Reverend W. J. Giffin. The interment was at Elmwood cemetery.
A daughter, Mrs. Elsie Biggerstaff of Spruce, Missouri, arrived a few hours after the death of the mother. Other relatives called here for the funeral were: Fred Swanson of Forest Lake, Minnesota; Mrs. Alfred Carlson of Geneseo, Illinois; Mrs. Hannah Sodenberg of Osco, Illinois; Mrs. Lue Johnson of Prairie Grove, Iowa; Mrs. Frank Jennings and Ted Anderson of Columbus Junction; Ed Johnson, Mr. Myers, Mr. Flynn, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Gaity and son of Burlington; Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Rauhauser of Mt. Union; Mrs. 0. Cary of Wapello.
Miss Sophia Anderson, daughter of Axel and Annistine Anderson, was born in Burlington, May 11, 1870, and departed this life at her home in Morning Sun, Iowa, March 30, 1931, at the age of 60 years, 10 months and 19 days. Her mother died when Sophia was 7 years of age, and her father in 1891. One brother and one sister also preceded her in death some years ago.
She grew to young womanhood in the vicinity of New London, Iowa. On March 30, 1890, she was married to Elmer E. Swanson, who departed this life on January 8, this year. Her death occurred on the 41st anniversary of their wedding, March 30.
Most of Mrs. Swanson's married life was spent on their farm west of town. One year was spent in Colorado, and during the past five years they had resided in Morning Sun. To Mr. and Mrs. Swanson eight children were born. Evalena, wife of Charles Anderson, passed away in 1920, and one son, Cecil, in 1922. The following survive: Mrs. Elsie Biggerstaff, of Spruce, Missouri, Walter of Tucson, Arizona, Sidney, Glen, and Mrs. Vera Callahan of the Morning Sun vicinity. There are also three grandsons, Lester Biggerstaff, DuWayne Swanson and Donald Callahan.
Mrs. Swanson was confirmed in the Swedish Lutheran church at Swedesburg and later united with the Presbyterian church of Morning Sun, of which she remained an active member until her departure.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Swanson will be greatly missed in the life of this community, for 41 years they have lived and labored here. How beautiful that their lives have not been separated long in death. How beautiful the assurance that there is a place of reunion where there shall be no more sufferings and no more separations for those who die in the Lord.
||Louisa County, Iowa, Cemetery Records  |
- Name: Sophia S. (Anderson) Swanson; Sex: F; Born: 1870; Died or Buried: 1931; Age: 61; Buried: Elmwood (township = Morning Sun); County/State: Louisa, Iowa; Military Service: none; Book: LCC ©1990 - page MS-74; Notes: 1870-1931; wife of Elmer E. Swanson
||10 Feb 2014 |
||Elmer E. Swanson, b. 10 Jan 1870, Olstorp, , Östergötlands län, Sweden , d. 8 Jan 1931, Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa |
||30 Mar 1890
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa [2, 6, 7]
|Iowa Marriage Records
- Name: Elmer Swanson; Event Type: Marriage; Event Date: 30 March 1890; Event Place: Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa, United States; Age: 21; Birthplace: Sweden; Father's Name: Swen M. Gustafson; Mother's Name: Anna M. Olson; Spouse's Name: Sophia Anderson; Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1870; Spouse's Birthplace: Burlington, Iowa; Spouse's Father's Name: Jacob Axel Anderson; Spouse's Mother's Name: Anna Frederickson; Gs Film Number: 956354; Digital Folder Number: 004309532
- There were eight children from this marriage.
|>||1. Vera M. Swanson, b. 2 May 1907, Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa , d. 28 Apr 1999, Iowa Health System Care Center, Mediapolis, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||10 Feb 2014 |
- [S2109] Willson, Vera M. (Swanson/Callahan) - Obituary, (originally published in the online edition of The Hawk Eye, May 5, 1999; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S13] Iowa Marriage Collection, 1809 -1992 (Family Search) (Reliability: 3).
- [S3215] Iowa Births and Christenings, Iowa County Births (Family Search) (Reliability: 3).
- [S634] Louisa County, Iowa - Cemetery Records Through 1997 (Rootsweb) (Reliability: 3).
- [S628] 1880 US Census (Reliability: 3).
From LDS Familysearch.org, online. Census Place: Family History Library Film: Pleasant Grove, Des Moines, Iowa; NA Film Number: 1254337; Page Number: T9-0337 87D.
- [S12894] Swanson, Sophia Salma (Anderson) - Obituary, (originally published in The Morning Sun News-Herald, front page, April 2, 1931; Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S12896] Swanson, Elmer E. - Obituary, (originally published in The Morning Sun News-Herald, front page, January 15, 1931; Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).