1882 - 1886
||Henry James "James" Russell [1, 2] |
||9 Sep 1882
||Pocahontas County, Iowa 
||14 Sep 1882 
- John Franklin Russell was James's twin; John's birth date is generally considered to be September 14, 1882. James can be calculated as September 9, 1882, from the age in the epitaph on his headstone.
|Iowa State Census
||Colfax Township, Pocahontas County, Iowa 
- James Russell, 90 Township, Range 83, Section 6, Address NW of NW; age 2, male, born in Pocahontas County, Iowa, father's nativity: foreign, mother's nativity: native
- James was John Franklin Russell's twin; he died when quite young; in fact his mother's obituary stated three children died "in infancy."
||Cedar Township Cemetery, Pocahontas County, Iowa, Burials [2, 5] |
- John Russell; died August 1, 1889; aged 48 years, 7 months
||15 Jan 1886 [2, 3, 4]
||Russell Family Burials in Cedar Township Cemetery, Pocahontas County, Iowa
The family of John Russell and Sarah Stacy (Lovering) Russell experienced three deaths between 1886-1889, while they were living near Fonda in Pocahontas County, Iowa. SOns Albert and Henry "James" died a day apart in January 1886; father John Russell died in 1889.
||Cedar Township Cemetery, Fonda, Pocahontas County, Iowa 
||31 Mar 2015 |
||John Russell, b. 1839, Hackness, , Yorkshire, England , d. 1 Aug 1889 |
||Sarah Stacy Lovering, b. 17 Jun 1854, Illinois , d. 22 Nov 1925, Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa |
||Iowa [4, 6]
||13 Feb 1877
||Pocahontas County, Iowa [7, 8]
- Iowa Marriage Records at Family Search report a marriage date of February 13, 1877, in Pocahontas County, Iowa (which they apparently obtained from a list of Pocahontas County, Iowa, vital records). As this was a few years after the birth of son, Arthur, it seems possibly to be in error. Sarah Russell's obituary stated she and John Russell were married in 1873.
|Iowa Marriage Records
- Groom's Name: John Russell; Groom's Birth Date: 1842; Groom's Birthplace: (nothing); Groom's Age: 35; Bride's Name: Sarah Lovering; Bride's Birth Date: 1855; Bride's Age: 22; Marriage Date: 13 February 1877; Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I02002-7; System Origin: Iowa-EASy; Source Film Number: 1401832; Reference Number: 26; Collection: Iowa Marriages, 1809-1992
Note: Judging from son Arthur's birthdate late in 1874, this marriage date (at least the year) is probably incorrect Sarah's obituary listed a marriage year of 1873.
|The Pioneer History of Pocahontas County, Iowa |
- Russell, John, brother of Henry, in 1870 built a sod house on his own homestead and occupied it alone for several years. In 1876 he built a frame house and married Sarah Lovering. He continued to occupy the homestead until 1883 (sic: 1889), when he died, leaving a family of five children, Arthur, William, Elijah, John and Mary. Two years later (1891) their mother became the wife of Henry Bentz, and they now live in the southern part of the state.
- [S8186] Russell, John Franklin - Obituary (Burlington Hawk-Eye), (originally published in The Burlington Hawk-Eye, page 3, November 5, 1967; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
(Five brothers and two sisters mentioned.)
- [S8188] Pocahontas County, Iowa - Birth, Cemetery, and Death Records, (100 pp.), page 78 (Reliability: 3).
- [S929] 1885 Iowa State Census (Reliability: 3).
Colfax Township, Pocahontas County, Iowa, page 128; Roll: IA1885_246
- [S385] Russell, Sarah Stacy (Lovering/Bentz) - Obituary, (originally published in The Burlington Hawk-Eye, page 2, November 25, 1925; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S8428] Pocahontas County, Iowa - Vital Records, (compiled by the D.A.R., available at www.newspaperarchive.org (web site)) (Reliability: 3).
Cedar Township Cemetery burials, pp 64-91; Russell family burials, page 78
- [S38] 1925 Iowa State Census (Reliability: 3).
Wapello Township, Louisa County, Iowa; Roll: IA1925_1818
- [S383] Pocahontas County, Iowa, GenWeb (Reliability: 3).
- [S13] Iowa Marriage Collection, 1809 -1992 (Family Search) (Reliability: 3).
- [S384] Pocahontas County, Iowa - (1904) The Pioneer History of Pocahontas County, Iowa, Robert E. Flickinger, A. B., B. D., Pastor of the Presbyterian church, Fonda, 1886-1902; and George Sanborn, Editor and proprietor of the Fonda Times 1879-1900, (The Times Print, 1904; Fonda, Pocahontas County, Iowa), pages 554-555 (Reliability: 3).