1923 - 1979
||Pauline "Polly" Nelson  |
||3 Sep 1923 
|A flyer urging Iowans to donate money to polio victims |
- Your Polio Contribution Played Its Part in Helping these Polio Victims
Patrick Murphy, 2817 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, son of Wm. Murphy, has been ill since August 30th and his left leg is paralyzed. Try and think of yourself in Patrick's place; then ask yourself what you would do to fight this dread disease. You have the chance now to do what we know every person with a heart will gladly do...Give generously...more generously than ever before...because the need is far greater.
Polio is an expensive, as well as a dangerous, disease. How would YOU handle a problem like that confronting Pauline Brauer, ill since August 27th, a respirator case with paralyzed chest, both legs and one arm? Pauline requires three nurses a day at $10 each per day, plus other expenses. Individual families can't handle these situations, but you and other generous Iowans can insure the continuation of necessary care for polio patients.
||William Patrick "Pat" Murphy and Pauline "Polly" (Nelson) Brauer On a Flyer Regarding Polio
Pat Murphy at age 1 or possibly 2 contracted polio, and was used in several instances as a "poster child" for raising money. This flyer (probably from the Iowa chapter of The March of Dimes) also happened to feature his aunt, Pauline "Polly" (Nelson) Brauer. (At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.)
||Dallas, Dallas County, Texas 
|Social Security Administration Information
- Brauer, Pauline; born: 3 September 1923; died: April 1979; age: 55; last residence: (not specified); last benefit: 74105 (Tulsa, Tulsa, Oklahoma); state where issued: Wisconsin
||Apr 1979 
||Holy Rosary Cemetery, Darlington, Lafayette County, Wisconsin 
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Galey Forrest Nelson, b. 10 Mar 1896, Browntown, Green County, Wisconsin , d. 9 Jul 1961, Leech Lake, Cass County, Minnesota |
||Lona Miriam Quinn, b. 1895, d. 1945 |
||3 Sep 1920
||Lafayette County, Wisconsin 
- (The marriage was confirmed as September 7 by Becky Murphy, this date is incorrect)
||7 Sep 1920
||Darlington, Lafayette County, Wisconsin 
||Pauline (Nelson) Brauer|
Pauline Nelson was the daughter of Galey Forrest Nelson (1896-1961) and Lona Miriam Quinn (1895-1945). She was born September 3, 1923, and died in April 1979. She was married to Miachael "Mike" Brauer. Their children were Robert "Bob" and Michael "Mike" Brauer Jr. (1946-1977). This photograph was taken in about 1948 in Iowa when she was suffering from the ill effects of polio.
- [S2006] Nelson, John Quinn - Obituary, (originally published in the Clear Lake Mirror Reporter, May 17, 1995; Clear Lake, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S776] Social Security Death Index (Reliability: 3).
- [S8151] Murphy, William Patrick "Pat" and Pauline "Polly" (Nelson) Brauer - Polio Poster Contribution Request (Reliability: 3).
- [S2005] Nelson, Galey Forrest - Obituary, (originally published in the Clear Lake Globe-Gazette, page 17, July 13, 1961; Clear Lake, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa [local edition of the Mason City Globe-Gazette]) (Reliability: 3).
- [S444] Murphy, Becky Ruth (Kimble) - Email (Reliability: 3).
- [S534] Online Record, See: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=tsmith&id=I133682 (Reliability: 3).
- [S94] LDS Online Record (Reliability: 3).
Source Information; Batch number 8624602; Dates; Source Call No. 1396231 ; Type Film; Printout Call No.; Sheet 37.