1790 - 1842
||Jonathan Hewitt [1, 2] |
||6 Apr 1790
||Ireland [1, 3]
- Jonathan immigrated from Ireland to the U.S. in 1818. First he settled in Butler County, Ohio; later he moved to Preble County.
- Jonathan Hewitt came from Ireland to U. S. in 1818 (The History of Preble County says 1814, but it is believed to be 1818). It is unclear how many brothers and sisters Jonathan had. It is known he had one brother, William, who came to the U. S. single, and married there. They also had a sister whose married name was Bell. When Jonathan came over from Ireland, he first settled in Butler County, Ohio, and then Preble County, Ohio, in 1827. Jonathan and Jane lived on the John Murray farm one mile northwest of Camden, Ohio. In 1840, Jonathan left his Ohio home and came on horseback to Davis County, Iowa. Here he bought land intending to bring his family West. On his way back to Ohio, near Keokuk, Iowa, his horse stumbled and fell. Jonathan was fatally injured. He is buried near Keokuk, Iowa. His wife Jane came to the land her husband had purchased. The children known to have come with her are Susanah, James, and Mary Jane. Hamilton, who was by that time married, came near that time and settled in Davis County, Iowa. In 1844, Jane moved her family to Van Buren County, Iowa. She died there in 1846. Jonathan may have had a brother named Thomas. The real proof is lacking. Thomas had five sons named William, John, Thomas, and two others who died before reaching manhood. John came to America and settled in Canada. William and Thomas settled near Mendon, Illinois, in 1849 or 1850. Thomas was married to Sarah Kells. They had six children, Thomas David, Robert William, and four daughters whose names are not known. Robert lived in Burlington, Iowa, in 1925.
Jonathan and William disagreed in politics. William was a rank Democrat. The other Hewitts were Whigs until the organization of the Republican party. When the Civil War came, it caused a split between these two branches of the family. William died in the fall of 1865. He was for a short time a teacher and later became a prosperous farmer near Liberty, Indiana. The only children known of William's family were John, Henry, David, Cyrus, and a daughter Sarah. Cyrus became prematurely old on account of dissipation, raised a family, and later he and his wife separated. There are only the names of two children known, George and William. William became an efficient druggist. He later ran a wholesale drug establishment in Philadelphia. George was in the shoe business in Anderson, Indiana. The name of the business was Brown and Hewitt Shoe Store. David was a farmer. He had one son, David. Henry was a dentist and well educated. He was married three times because of his liking to liquor. Henry had two children. He died in 1898 or 1899. Henry lived in Lewisburg, Preble County, Ohio.
||16 Sep 1842
||Keokuk, Lee County, Iowa Territory 
||near Keokuk, Lee County, Iowa 
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Jane Brown, b. 29 Aug 1795, Ireland , d. 14 Apr 1846, Van Buren County, Iowa |
||the United States 
||Keokuk, Lee County, Iowa 
|>||1. Hamilton H. Hewitt, b. 15 Jul 1816, Ireland , d. 9 Jul 1886, Iowa |
|>||2. Margaret A. Hewitt, b. 27 Jun 1818, at sea , d. Sep 1892|
|>||3. William John "W. J." Hewitt, b. 13 Jul 1820, Butler County, Ohio , d. 6 Sep 1894, near Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa |
|>||4. Robert Brown Hewitt, b. 9 May 1822, Butler County, Ohio , d. 27 Dec 1902|
|>||5. Thomas Brown Hewitt, b. 22 Apr 1824, Collinsville, Butler County, Ohio , d. 3 Oct 1896, Camden, Preble County, Ohio |
|>||6. Jonathan Irven "Irven" Hewitt, b. 15 May 1827, Ohio , d. 31 Jul 1894|
|>||7. Susannah "Susan" Hewitt, b. 19 Jan 1830, Preble County, Ohio , d. 21 Feb 1917, Morning Sun, Louisa County, Iowa |
|>||8. James Hewitt, b. 2 Aug 1833, Ohio , d. Aft 1886|
|>||9. Mary Jane Hewitt, b. 26 Aug 1835, Preble County, Ohio , d. 6 Aug 1915, Harrison, Sioux County, Nebraska |
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S394] Louisa County, Iowa - A Portrait and Biographical Album of Louisa County 1889, (Acme Publishing Company, Chicago, published in 1889), pages 260-261 (Reliability: 3).
- [S534] Online Record (Reliability: 3).
From a note at cemetery information at Louisa county: "Hamilton Hewitt was the eldest child of Jonathan Hewitt and Jane Brown. He was born in Ireland on July 15,1816 and died in Iowa on July 9, 1886. He came to Ohio in 1818 and to Iowa after his marriage to Priscilla Steel. They had six sons, John, William, Thomas Scott, James S., Robert Irven, and William M." email@example.com Dan Hewitt
- [S377] World Connect - Hewitt :2102659, (last updated: Sat May 25 15:18:36 2002, contact: Daniel Hewit) (Reliability: 3).
- [S35] Des Moines County, Iowa - (1888) Portrait and Biographical Album of Des Moines County, Iowa, (Acme Publishing, Chicago; 1888), pages 260-261 (Reliability: 3).