1872 - 1949
||William Fred Miller [1, 2] |
||20 Jun 1872
||near Danville, Des Moines County, Iowa [2, 3, 4]
||Flint River Township, Des Moines County, Iowa 
- William Miller, son, single, male, white, age 7, born in Iowa, occupation keeping house, father's birthplace Bavaria, mother's birthplace Bavaria
||10 Jan 1949
||Mediapolis, Des Moines County, Iowa [2, 4]
||11 Jan 1949
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|The Burlington Hawk-Eye Gazette |
- Mediapolis (IA) -- William F. Miller, retired farmer, died at his home in Mediapolis January 10, at about 5 p.m. He had been in failing health for over a year.
Miller was born near Danville on June 20, 1872. He and Mrs. Miller retired and moved from the Danville vicinity to Mediapolis in March 1942. Mrs. Miller, who survives, is the former Mamie Beckman. She and Miller were married February 2, 1910.
Also surviving arc 2 sons, Virgil Miller of Silver Springs, Maryland, and Delbert Miller of Danville; 2 brothers, Fred Miller of New London, and John Miller of Danville. There are 4 grandchildren.
Last rites will be held at the Methodist church at 2 p.m. Thursday, Reverend G. M. Rosenberger will officiate, and burial will be in Kossuth cemetery.
||13 Jan 1949
||Kossuth Cemetery, Yellow Spring Township, Des Moines County, Iowa [2, 4]
||31 Mar 2015 |
||Henry W. Miller, b. 17 Oct 1825, Bavaria (Bayern) , d. 24 Feb 1905, Pleasant Grove, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||Marie "Mary" Mathias, b. 28 Aug 1836, Bavaria (Bayern) , d. 17 Apr 1900, Pleasant Grove, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio 
- According to son John W. Miller's 1925 Iowa state census record, his parents were married in Cincinnati, Ohio.
||New London, Henry County, Iowa [1, 6]
|A History of New London, Iowa |
- HENRY MILLER FAMILY
Henry Miller and his wife, Marie Mathias Miller, came from Germany, probably in the 1850's or shortly afterward. They lived near Latty, north of Burlington, and later moved to the Pleasant Grove neighborhood of Des Moines County. Their children were Charles, John, Mary Dodds, Henry, Louis, Lena Vollmer, Rosie Schnittger, William, and Fred.
Charles H. Miller (1858-1939) married Matilda A. (Tillie) Meyer (1866-1947). Their children were John Henry, Clara (Mrs. Perry) DeSpain, Mary (Mrs. John) Hanks, William, Ralph, and Ervin.
Of the Charles Miller children: John Henry Miller (1888-1970) married Mabel Dodds and their daughter was Fern Brandon. Clara Elizabeth (1890-1973) married Perry DeSpain (1888-1950) and their sons were Ralph, Willis, Glen and Lorrain. (See DeSpain family history.) Mary Miller married John Hanks (1891-1972) and their children were Raymond, Clarence, and Velda Seymour. (See Hanks family history.) William Carl Miller (1896-1960) married Grace Funk, and their children were Floyd and Agnes (Mrs. Clair) Allen. Ralph Miller (1900-1963) married Edith Thomas, and their children were Maynard, Howard, and Wanda (Mrs. Earl) Grinstead. Ralph and Edith Miller's children: Maynard Miller married Alma Valentine and their children were Larry and Donna. Howard married Elsie Fischer, and their children were Ronald, who married Nancy Riepe and teaches in New London High School; Susan (Mrs. Jerry) Prottsman; Evan, who married Mary Jo Marshall; and Cynde (Mrs. Robert) Lemley. Children of Wanda and Earl Grinstead were Roger and Mary Beth Murrell. Ervin C. Miller (1906-1946) married Gladys Thomas, a sister of Edith (Mrs. Ralph) Miller, and their children were Curtis, Marilyn (Mrs. Lon) Burr, and Harold.
Continuing with the children of Henry and Marie Mathias Miller: John's children were Arthur (1895-1975), Henry, Edward, George, Alvie, Walter, and Versie Trueblood.
Mary Miller married Finis Dodds (1864-1940) and their children were Ewing, Dwight, and Howard.
Henry Miller (1865-1930) married Helena (Lena) Hueschen (1877-1971), and their daughter was Arlene Porteous.
Louis Miller married Lillie Redding and they had no children.
Lena Miller (1867-1940) married William Vollmer and their children were: Charles, whose children were Mervin, LaVon Darbyshire, and Jeannette; Murlie (Mrs. George) Smith; Lloyd; Harry; Madie (Mrs. Lloyd) Peterson; John; and Clara. LaVon Vollmer married Carroll Derbyshire, and their children were Janice (Mrs. Mark) Fitzpatrick, Joyce (Mrs. Bob Shafer) and Donnie.
William Miller married Mamie Beckman, and their sons were Virgil and Delbert.
Fred Miller (1874-1961) was the youngest and last survivor of Henry and Marie's children. Fred married Bettie Toft (1876-1946), and their children were: Florence (Mrs. John) Fricke (1900-1971) whose children were Betty (Mrs. J. L.) Coberley, Keith, Virginia Carlton, and Ruth Valenzuelly; Bessie (Mrs. Wesley) Totemeier whose children were Wesley, and Wanda Johnson; Clive, who married Maurine Larson; Cecil, who married Vera Hale; Vera Knisley; and Burdell.
Children of Clive and Maurine Larson Miller were Don, who married Janean Mix; Delores (Mrs. Ronald) Stigge; and Dennis. Children of Cecil and Vera Hale Miller were Marvin, who married Florence Reiman (sic); and Kay (Mrs. Wayne) Vierling.
||The Biography of the Henry W. and Marie "Mary" (Mathias) Miller Extended Family of Henry County, Iowa
M. Ruth (DeLong) Peterson, The History of New London, Iowa (published by The New London Journal on the occasion of the paper's centennial in 1975, Duane Griggs, editor; New London, Henry County, Iowa: composed and printed by The Hawk Eye; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa), page 199
||Mamie Harrison Beckman, b. 22 Nov 1886, Flint River Township, Des Moines County, Iowa , d. 17 Mar 1974, Harmony Nursing Home, Mediapolis, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||2 Feb 1910 [4, 7]
||21 Jan 2014 |
||Prominent New London, Iowa, Businessmen in 1907|
The text of the caption to this photograph is:
BUSINESS MEN of New London, 1907. Identification was made in 1924 by B.S. Lillie one of the men pictured, as follows: Top row: Frank Nugen, J.H. Williams, Isaac Shaner, Carl Fisher, Ollie Foggy, Harry Slingluff, Sam Reiser, William Miller, Dudley Scott, J.W. Jackman, Harry Lyman, James Portlock. Second-row: Mr. Copelin, William Nugen, Henry Wagner, William Walker, Leonard Wallar, T.L. Clements, Dr. C.E. Cook, Dr. G.M. Van Ausdall, C.W. von Coelln, Frank Portlock, Ben Nelson. Third row: Mr. Mathews, E. Moses William Parrott, Ira Redfearn, William Pixley, Ross Walker, Roger Hillerary, Wes Shaner, B.E. Snyder, Henry Shopbell, Will Gannaway, Oscar Nelson. Fourth row: Mace Parrott, Thomas Lee, William Hulley, Luther White, Rev. C.C. Dillavou, Sam Shaner, John Nugen, J.H. Bolton, J.E. Peterson, Frank Lauser, J.P. McCune, Wes Snelson. Fifth row: James Young, Frank Hiles, Joseph Shields, Delos Greenfield, D.L. Ramsey, Frank Clawson, Verdon Portlock. John Parrott, Jarrett Nugen, Sam Pyle, Roy Hilleary, Mr. Devol. Bottom row: John Waters, Jonathan Doolittle, B.S. Lillie, Oliver McDonald, Pascal Nugen, Dr. G.J. Andrews, Henry Cook, Harley Walker.
- [S266] New London, Iowa - New London Journal Centennial Edition Newspaper, M. Ruth (DeLong) Peterson, (published by The New London Journal on the occasion of the paper's centennial in 1975, Duane Griggs, editor; New London, Henry County, Iowa: composed and printed by The Hawk Eye; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa), pages 191-192 (Reliability: 3).
- [S3717] World Connect - Portlock: :1909814, (last updated: Sun Feb 24 19:22:43 2002, contact Beverly Portlock) (Reliability: 3).
- [S628] 1880 US Census (Reliability: 3).
From LDS Familysearch.org, online. Census Place: Family History Library Film: Flint River, Des Moines, Iowa; NA Film Number: 1254337; Page Number: T9-0337 111D.
- [S1858] Miller, William Fred - Obituary, (originally published in The Burlington Hawk-Eye Gazette, page 11, January 11, 1949; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S1848] World Connect - Liesa Burr 5 Generation Pedigree: :2189941, (last updated: Sat Aug 3 22:40:47 2002, contact Liesa R. Newman) (Reliability: 3).
- [S266] New London, Iowa - New London Journal Centennial Edition Newspaper, M. Ruth (DeLong) Peterson, (published by The New London Journal on the occasion of the paper's centennial in 1975, Duane Griggs, editor; New London, Henry County, Iowa: composed and printed by The Hawk Eye; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa), page 183 (Reliability: 3).
- [S1859] Miller, Mamie Harrison (Beckman) - Obituary, (originally published in The Hawk Eye, page 8, March 18, 1974; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).