1825 - 1905
||Henry W. Miller [1, 2, 3] |
||17 Oct 1825
||Bavaria (Bayern) [4, 5]
||Between 1827 and 1828
||Bavaria (Bayern) 
||Flint River Township, Des Moines County, Iowa 
- (Married to Mary, living with her and chldren: Charles, John, Rosalia, Lewis, Henry, Caroline, Mary, William, and Frederick Miller:) Henry Miller, head of household, married, male, white, age 52, born in Bavaria, occupation farmer, father's birthplace Bavaria, mother's birthplace Bavaria
||24 Feb 1905
||Pleasant Grove, Des Moines County, Iowa [3, 4]
||25 Feb 1905
||Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa 
|The Burlington Hawk-Eye |
- Henry Miller Dies Near New London.
Special to The Hawk-Eye
New London (IA), February 24. -- Mr. Henry Miller died at his home six miles northeast of here this afternoon. He was born in Germany in 1825. Mr. Miller was the father of nine children, six boys and three girls, Louis Miller of this city being one of the sons. His wife passed away about five years ago. The funeral will take place Sunday morning at 11 o'clock in Pleasant Grove.
||26 Feb 1905
||Shinar Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery, Pleasant Grove, Des Moines County, Iowa [4, 6]
||15 Feb 2014 |
||Marie "Mary" Mathias, b. 28 Aug 1836, Bavaria (Bayern) , d. 17 Apr 1900, Pleasant Grove, Des Moines County, Iowa |
||Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio 
- According to son John W. Miller's 1925 Iowa state census record, his parents were married in Cincinnati, Ohio.
||New London, Henry County, Iowa [2, 7]
|A History of New London, Iowa |
- HENRY MILLER FAMILY
Henry Miller and his wife, Marie Mathias Miller, came from Germany, probably in the 1850's or shortly afterward. They lived near Latty, north of Burlington, and later moved to the Pleasant Grove neighborhood of Des Moines County. Their children were Charles, John, Mary Dodds, Henry, Louis, Lena Vollmer, Rosie Schnittger, William, and Fred.
Charles H. Miller (1858-1939) married Matilda A. (Tillie) Meyer (1866-1947). Their children were John Henry, Clara (Mrs. Perry) DeSpain, Mary (Mrs. John) Hanks, William, Ralph, and Ervin.
Of the Charles Miller children: John Henry Miller (1888-1970) married Mabel Dodds and their daughter was Fern Brandon. Clara Elizabeth (1890-1973) married Perry DeSpain (1888-1950) and their sons were Ralph, Willis, Glen and Lorrain. (See DeSpain family history.) Mary Miller married John Hanks (1891-1972) and their children were Raymond, Clarence, and Velda Seymour. (See Hanks family history.) William Carl Miller (1896-1960) married Grace Funk, and their children were Floyd and Agnes (Mrs. Clair) Allen. Ralph Miller (1900-1963) married Edith Thomas, and their children were Maynard, Howard, and Wanda (Mrs. Earl) Grinstead. Ralph and Edith Miller's children: Maynard Miller married Alma Valentine and their children were Larry and Donna. Howard married Elsie Fischer, and their children were Ronald, who married Nancy Riepe and teaches in New London High School; Susan (Mrs. Jerry) Prottsman; Evan, who married Mary Jo Marshall; and Cynde (Mrs. Robert) Lemley. Children of Wanda and Earl Grinstead were Roger and Mary Beth Murrell. Ervin C. Miller (1906-1946) married Gladys Thomas, a sister of Edith (Mrs. Ralph) Miller, and their children were Curtis, Marilyn (Mrs. Lon) Burr, and Harold.
Continuing with the children of Henry and Marie Mathias Miller: John's children were Arthur (1895-1975), Henry, Edward, George, Alvie, Walter, and Versie Trueblood.
Mary Miller married Finis Dodds (1864-1940) and their children were Ewing, Dwight, and Howard.
Henry Miller (1865-1930) married Helena (Lena) Hueschen (1877-1971), and their daughter was Arlene Porteous.
Louis Miller married Lillie Redding and they had no children.
Lena Miller (1867-1940) married William Vollmer and their children were: Charles, whose children were Mervin, LaVon Darbyshire, and Jeannette; Murlie (Mrs. George) Smith; Lloyd; Harry; Madie (Mrs. Lloyd) Peterson; John; and Clara. LaVon Vollmer married Carroll Derbyshire, and their children were Janice (Mrs. Mark) Fitzpatrick, Joyce (Mrs. Bob Shafer) and Donnie.
William Miller married Mamie Beckman, and their sons were Virgil and Delbert.
Fred Miller (1874-1961) was the youngest and last survivor of Henry and Marie's children. Fred married Bettie Toft (1876-1946), and their children were: Florence (Mrs. John) Fricke (1900-1971) whose children were Betty (Mrs. J. L.) Coberley, Keith, Virginia Carlton, and Ruth Valenzuelly; Bessie (Mrs. Wesley) Totemeier whose children were Wesley, and Wanda Johnson; Clive, who married Maurine Larson; Cecil, who married Vera Hale; Vera Knisley; and Burdell.
Children of Clive and Maurine Larson Miller were Don, who married Janean Mix; Delores (Mrs. Ronald) Stigge; and Dennis. Children of Cecil and Vera Hale Miller were Marvin, who married Florence Reiman (sic); and Kay (Mrs. Wayne) Vierling.
||The Biography of the Henry W. and Marie "Mary" (Mathias) Miller Extended Family of Henry County, Iowa
M. Ruth (DeLong) Peterson, The History of New London, Iowa (published by The New London Journal on the occasion of the paper's centennial in 1975, Duane Griggs, editor; New London, Henry County, Iowa: composed and printed by The Hawk Eye; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa), page 199
|>||1. Charles Henry Miller, b. 29 Mar 1858, Lee County, Iowa , d. 26 Jun 1939, Pleasant Grove, Des Moines County, Iowa |
|>||2. John William Miller, b. 28 Nov 1859, Union Township, Des Moines County, Iowa , d. 25 Mar 1953, Mercy Hospital, Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa |
| ||3. Rosalia Anna "Rosie" Miller, b. Between 1861 and 1862, Iowa , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||4. Louis E. Miller, b. Oct 1863, Iowa , d. 1944|
|>||5. Henry C. Miller, b. 1865, Iowa , d. 1930|
|>||6. Caroline M. "Lena" Miller, b. 1867, Iowa , d. 1940|
|>||7. Mary Miller, b. 17 Feb 1870, Iowa , d. 1940|
|>||8. William Fred Miller, b. 20 Jun 1872, near Danville, Des Moines County, Iowa , d. 10 Jan 1949, Mediapolis, Des Moines County, Iowa |
|>||9. Fred William Miller, b. 5 Mar 1874, Iowa , d. 1961|
||21 Jan 2014 |
- [S628] 1880 US Census (Reliability: 3).
From LDS Familysearch.org, online. Census Place: Family History Library Film: Flint River, Des Moines, Iowa; NA Film Number: 1254337; Page Number: T9-0337 111D.
- [S266] New London, Iowa - New London Journal Centennial Edition Newspaper, M. Ruth (DeLong) Peterson, (published by The New London Journal on the occasion of the paper's centennial in 1975, Duane Griggs, editor; New London, Henry County, Iowa: composed and printed by The Hawk Eye; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa), pages 191-192 (Reliability: 3).
- [S1848] World Connect - Liesa Burr 5 Generation Pedigree: :2189941, (last updated: Sat Aug 3 22:40:47 2002, contact Liesa R. Newman) (Reliability: 3).
- [S507] Des Moines County, Iowa - Cemetery Records (GenWeb) (Reliability: 3).
- [S54] 1900 US Census (Reliability: 3).
Pleasant Grove Township, Des Moines County, Iowa; enumeration district: 22, supervisor's district: 74, sheet number: 8A, page number: 331; enumeration date: June 23, 1900
- [S9775] Miller, Henry W. - Obituary, (originally published in The Burlington Hawk-Eye, page 3, February 25, 1905; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa) (Reliability: 3).
- [S266] New London, Iowa - New London Journal Centennial Edition Newspaper, M. Ruth (DeLong) Peterson, (published by The New London Journal on the occasion of the paper's centennial in 1975, Duane Griggs, editor; New London, Henry County, Iowa: composed and printed by The Hawk Eye; Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa), page 183 (Reliability: 3).